PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Had an opportunity to tweak one of my MM cobs today after getting a little inspiration from some cob smokers here on the forum. I was at a BM that a friend of mine owns about a week and a half ago making a pipe and tobacco purchase along with some cleaning/maint. supplies and as I was readying to get checked out my friend walks back to where he displays his estate and basket pipes, grabs one and walks over and shoves it in my coat pocket. He explained that they had bought out an estate and with the contents were a dozen or so of these strange looking and rather small freehand like looking pipes and that he had no clue about how good they smoked or even who made them. He knows I'm kinda rough on pipes and he suggested it may be a good knock around piece to keep along with my cobs. Long story short the pipe has a tight draw, is not drilled very well and it just smokes horrible, hot and wet, no matter how hard I tried to make a go of it. Feeling bad that this pipe may not work out I pulled the bit out and started thinking that the tenon looked to be about the same diameter as the inside dia. of the tenon on my MM Washington cob so I went and checked it out, perfect. I cut the tenon off a stem that fit onto an old Eaton MM that has served me for many years and is about played out and I took that piece, inserted the vulcanite stem from the gifted briar and fitted it into my Washington MM and got a perfect fit. Now I have a classy looking cob that still smokes like a champ and I don't feel as bad about the poor smoking gift since I was able to at least re-purpose the bit. I'm sorry for lacking photos but I'm new and don't know how to post them from my phone.

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
Sounds like a eureka moment to me...glad it worked out well...
(I to find posting pics a bit fiddly, or I just can't see what my fat finger is tapping....)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'll add that although I personally don't have a problem with the stock plastic stems that are sold with the MM cobs, having one made of vulcanite with a full size tapered bit is pretty nice. There will be many enjoyable outings on the trout stream in the coming weeks with my modified cob going along for the adventure. It easily permits a cleaner to glide through unobstructed which again is a bonus.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since I chew through the MM cob stems in about a year or less, I favor Forever stems or

softie bits to prevent that. The cob and shank will last for years in rotation. This "found"

stem replacement is a real piece of luck. The pipe-smoking force is with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.