PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several pipes that are more than ten years old which have grayed and clouded vulcanite.

Along with other aspects of wear -- a little scorching around the top of the bowl, and some

rubbing that has marked with bowl finish with much pleasurable use -- I think this is perfectly

acceptable. I have definitely studied the various preparations made to prevent stems from

showing age, but finally I don't bother. A well-worn pipe is a glory and a blessing. I keep

'em clean and ready, and I have actually only had one pipe wear out on me. (That was a slender

billiard, a no-name "Made in London" pipe that cracked at the bowl-shank juncture. Gave it

to a friend for decor -- former Lucky Strike guy who quit all smoking -- as a paperweight.)

Anyone out there worried about avoiding clouding vulcanite? Collectors, I guess.

Reactions: Chocolatebars

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Anyone out there worried about avoiding clouding vulcanite? Collectors, I guess.

Not just collectors. Some(myself included) think that it doesn't look good. I like my pipes to look good, and an oxidized stem isn't appealing to the eyes.

zdwebb12

Might Stick Around
Jan 25, 2013
I've got a grand duke with some minor oxidation and teeth marks on the stem that I don't plan on doing anything about. I plan on keeping my Butz and my Sav sparkly though. It's really just a matter of personal taste.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I think it is terrible from an aesthetic standpoint.
If I didn't want to keep my vulcanite clean, I would opt for acrylic stems only...

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I take them to the buffer every so often and hit them with some red rouge to keep the oxidation under control.

extrasample

Lurker
Jan 20, 2013
I thought "it came that way" when I purchased my first pipe- an estate Darby I bought on a whim. The oxidation was an atractive brown not a green color so I kept it that way not knowing it could be cleaned. Until one day i started at it with a high grit sand paper. It was like a new pipe in appearance and felt better in on the lips.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I don't like oxidation. I'm finding that wiping them clean and dry after smoking and then using a light coat of chapstick to them keeps then looking pretty darn good.

Some pipes are worse with rim darkening than others, and for whatever reason the saliva trick doesn't work great for me. I'm trying to figure out another option for that.

A cotton swab lightly dampened with alcohol can work wonders. Be careful as the alcohol can remove finish ans lift stain though. Id start with some alcohol.and then move to saliva on the swabs.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
When I get a tan colored discoloration at the mouthpiece, I apply vegetable oil with a fingertip. Follow with a good rub with paper towel. This sometimes re-blackens an entire stem that has age-browned.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Not just collectors. I smoke each and every one of my pipes, but I do like them being in fine shape. Oxidation can affect flavor, plus (at least to me) it looks nasty. I wash my car, I wash my clothes and I clean my pipe. :puffy:
Personally I'd rather put this stem in my mouth:
images

Than this one:
911ac1ba6ad68e22bdd1bb4cc13537f2.jpg

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I never wash my car, but I like my pipestems to be clean outside and in.

Status
Not open for further replies.