Pipes Magazine » Tobacco Legislation

Tags:   

Closed Threads

(34 posts)
  1. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I have been reading with some interest some of the threads on here and notice lately many are being closed by moderators. Case in point, tonights guns=tobacco thread. I find myself confused as to what topics are seemingly allowed and which ones aren't. As I follow through that thread, there was no disagreements, no fighting, no name calling. Seemed to be well inside the pipe discussion and yet was closed. I understand the need to moderate out political discussions because there are many differing opinions, however we are now closing threads that clearly deal with things near and dear to pipe smokers. Current legislation is not political retoric, it's fact. Like discusing today's news. It is on topic because it deals with our hobby. If someone could please help me understand this invisible line we are not to cross I would appreciate it. I can only post so much about what I am smoking that night. Even our pipe club meeting's have some good natured discussion around current events. Just my two cents, but I think we may be going to far in the direction of being overly careful to the point our views and opinions cannot be stated. I mean this post in a most constructive way. As I have heard another say. Not my house not my rules, however this site is very active due in part to the forum section and the group of friends that we develop here. I think we are mature enough for a bit more latitude.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

He didn't mean it mister moderators honest he hasn't been feeling well let it slide this time plz mister moderators

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a big boy thanks Dar I can handle the whippin I get out behind the wood shed!

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

couldnt resist

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi guys, I'll attempt to address the expressed concerns.

We are community of pipe-smokers, who love to discuss pipes, tobacco, and help out new pipers.

There is a lot going on politically, and legislatively in the States right now.
    There have been, and are some horrific things happening.
    Emotions are running very high all across the country, on all sides of all of the issues.
    Emotions are difficult to convey at the best of times in the "Reply Box", they can be easily mis-interpreted.
    When one writes something, in one emotional mode, it can easily come across as something quite different.
    I personally have been reading a lot of angst and vitriol in a lot of the posts lately.
    We moderators have to do our best to keep contentions between members on as friendly and even a keel as possible.

Speaking directly about the Tobacco = Guns thread, the replies weren't so much about any particular "tobacco legislation" but (to me) seemed more about proposed firearm restrictions... tobacco was mentioned as an after thought or not at all. We don't have any problem with a member posting some proud PaPa photos of their latest firearm acquisition, new bow, whopper fish, or latest brew. However; when the discussion veers toward BMGAC-ing it's time to close that thread, or delete it as deemed appropriate by a moderator.

Lastly; we don't close threads without good reason. Any seeming increase in closed or deleted threads are a direct result of those reasons mentioned above.

We want to keep our favorite web site and forum as friendly and inviting as it ever was.
    That's it in a nut shell.

Happy puffing guys and gals,
    Lawrence

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am about as politically radical as they come. I am OLD SCHOOL rural American. Farming, hunting, shooting, fishing, horse riding, livestock breeding, crop raisin', frog gigging, deer skinning, American. I grew up on Red Dawn, Hank Williams Jr, Waylon Jennings, and farm chores. My grampa used the outhouse his whole life because he thought it was disgusting to go to the bathroom inside one's own house. I am disgusted with modern America. My red neck 'street cred' is strong. I'll put it up against anybody's.

That said, I am so MF'ing tired of talking politics, and of political forums. I come here partially for an escape from all that. So I'm fine with the rules and their admirably patient and good-natured enforcement.

My apologies if I have bent them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think we are mature enough for a bit more latitude.

This pretty much sums it up. We're not a bunch of kids who are drawn to Speed3's (whatever the hell that is) or Xbox's (that one I know), we're (mostly) middle aged guys on up who share a common passion, and I truly believe that no matter the topic, the discussion would remain civil and that any heated discussion would be taken as such only, without hard feelings outside that specific topic.

I've mentioned this before, but I'd like to bring it up again: I have a number of friends who are NUTTY freaking liberals, the kind of people who are basically the exact opposite of me. I love these people and have never been angry at them because of their views, and vice-verse, and I believe the same would apply here. We're all adults who are intelligent enough to prefer the pipe to other forms of tobacco, and really do deserve the ability to discuss politics (or anything else) without being gagged. I understand this isn't "my place", of course, and will do my best to abide by whatever rules are laid down by those who own the site, but I think most would agree here that we warrant much more latitude than your garden-variety discussion group.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This site is not a hobby for Kevin. This is Kevin's business - how he makes his living. He needs advertisers and sponsors and whatever.
    He has decided - and it is clearly posted in the rules - no politics. His forum,his rules. I think that's just fine. There are pipe smoking forums that allow discussion of politics. If you really wanna talk about politics in a forum, then that's where you should do it. Nobody says you can only be in one pipe smoking forum.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The point has been made that, often enough, pipe smoking and politics are deeply intermingled.

Just saying.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Discussion of religion and politics invariably ends up being a huge pissing contest where all sides get wet, but nobody wins. It's often embarrassingly ugly and can quickly accelerate to flames of unbelievable proportions.

I hate drama. I don't even feel comfortable with posts that are not pipe/tobacco related here. I read the op-eds of the Post and the Times daily. I'm here for the hobby.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. sebastian

sebastian

Login to Send PM

I try to keep my political beliefs confined to my own thoughts and the voting booth.

Ive heard enough political discussion in the last 5 years to last a lifetime. Im just here for my smoking pleasure. Though I have yet to see anything here that is less than pleasant discussion, I can see where the possibility exists, and can understand how politics may bring out the worst in an otherwise rational conversation. While the point is taken that we are all adults that can have discussions of a political nature without heated debate, I find it a nice escape when there is no political discussion at all.

My 2¢

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Discussion of religion and politics invariably ends up being a huge pissing contest where all sides get wet, but nobody wins

Well put.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m surprised it wasn’t closed earlier… But something’s political are going to be discussed, there’s a forum for posting about legislation. That shows up in general discussion so of course it’s going to be commented on. I think the line between politics and legislation is an easy line to determine, and really shouldn’t be a problem for mature adults, well at least those of age. We can talk about Obamacare taxes, but not Obama. Easy.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who wants to take bets on when the thread about closed threads will itself be closed?

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is Kevin's business - how he makes his living. He needs advertisers and sponsors and whatever.
    He has decided - and it is clearly posted in the rules - no politics. His forum,his rules. I think that's just fine

Agreed!

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But something’s political are going to be discussed, there’s a forum for posting about legislation.

TOBACCO legislation. Not firearms. Not the budget. Not defense policy. Not anything else.

We can talk about Obamacare taxes, but not Obama. Easy

Doesn't seem to be. Some folks can't seem to talk about tobacco legislation without going off on rants about unrelated subjects.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who wants to take bets on when the thread about closed threads will itself be closed?

Hahaha

I love to debate my views with intelligent people who can fully argue their own beliefs.... Unfortunately the internet just doesnt seem to be the place for that. I dont know why, but it will always just turn into a poop flinging contest. Too easy to say something ugly anonymously and without fear of getting your butt kicked.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Before this is closed I want to comment on one statement, I used to love to gig frogs also!! While smoking a cob.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My apologies people. I didnt mean to start a poop-storm, I honestly didnt. I started that thread because I am a "gun guy" as much as I am now a "pipe" guy. Both of these loves are in the crosshairs so it seems (there I go again ). There was a direct parallel in what took place with firearms, so I asked the question seeking knowledge. I have to say that I actually enjoyed the thread and the perspectives of everyone. Lawrence's last post there really summed it up. "yes stock up on tobacco". Carry on.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's fine to like both, but leave the guns out of it. Stick to pipes and tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you need to talk or in the need to get your post count up and don't care to talk about pipes or tobacco you can allways talk about Kevins shoes or car, He likes that and your thread won't get closed. Just joking!

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

(deleted upon further reflection)

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love to debate my views with intelligent people who can fully argue their own beliefs.... Unfortunately the internet just doesnt seem to be the place for that. I dont know why, but it will always just turn into a poop flinging contest. Too easy to say something ugly anonymously and without fear of getting your butt kicked.

That last line is exactly right, and why I don't bother responding to people who get their panties in a wad over something I wrote. It's not fair to reply in kind without being face to face, so they can get their hands on me if they think I'm being a dick....and vice-verse of course. The anonymity of the internet seems to have cause many people to forget civility and common courtesy. People are far more interested in being polite in voicing their opinion when they know that being a jerk might end up costing them a few teeth or a broken nose.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Punching out someone you disagree with is,of course, the height of maturity and courteous behavior.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Discussion of religion and politics invariably ends up being a huge pissing contest where all sides get wet, but nobody wins. It's often embarrassingly ugly and can quickly accelerate to flames of unbelievable proportions

Oh wise man

Now close this thread already Unless we

talk about Kevins shoes or car,

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Punching out someone you disagree with is,of course, the height of maturity and courteous behavior...

Yes, of course it is, and I don't think I even vaguely implied that someone should get a sore nose because they don't share my opinion. I think anyone who read my last statement would easily gather that rudeness and deliberate provocation might get them a punch in the face, but civil discussion and disagreement is always welcome with me, and in fact I love debating my point with someone who disagrees. Even if I can't sway them to my side of the fence, they'll certainly have a much better knowledge of the subject at the end of the discussion, and I'll have a more clear idea of their line of thinking.

I'm wondering, Jud, why it is that you felt I meant that disagreeing with me would earn someone a punching out?

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If more people were punched in the face when they were rude and discourteous, this would be a better country. In fact, the fear of being punched in the face probably prevented much discourtesy in decades and ages past. The absence of such concern encourages discourtesy. Bad behavior expands to the extent it is tolerated.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only came for the ladies and the drinks, ladies and the drinks.... lol

I'm here for pipes and tobacco, and some friendly fun discussions.

99% pipes and tobacco
    1% other stuff

Lets have fun guys.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree that we need to stick to safe, friendly, pipe & tobacco related discussions.

I know! How about cobs vs briars? Or better yet, high-end pipes vs low? Those discussions always remain civil.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like I misunderstood what you were saying, Mike. These things do happen.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That last line is exactly right, and why I don't bother responding to people who get their panties in a wad over something I wrote. It's not fair to reply in kind without being face to face, so they can get their hands on me if they think I'm being a dick....and vice-verse of course. The anonymity of the internet seems to have cause many people to forget civility and common courtesy. People are far more interested in being polite in voicing their opinion when they know that being a jerk might end up costing them a few teeth or a broken nose.

Well said. Internet conversations are not remotely close to what would happen in the presence the other conversant.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. cezario

cezario

Login to Send PM

+ with Mike Phillips and Roth.

Cezario
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I come here to talk pipes and tobacco and really enjoy the no politics allowed rule.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with cigrmaster, although I am disappointed to think we are going to miss out on all the latest Millard Fillmore news.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   anthonyrosenthal74, pipesinperu, apatim, jfox520, pruss, simnettpratt, rsuninv, moses1, cmdrmcbragg, condorlover1, cigrmaster, jlr1, phred, ghost, jeffers1, dukdalf, jmill208, edgreen