PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Was traveling up Rt. 21 just out of Sparta, NC and saw the Dr. Grabow plant - I had no idea their plant was there. This was a Sunday, so the plant looked abandoned.
I searched around a little and found out that Lane Limited sold the plant back in 2012 to International Pipes & Accessories LLC. Do they still manufacture, give tours and sell pipes out of this plant? If so I will defiantly be headed back up that way during business hours to check it out.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Yes, they are still made there. By International Pipes and Accessories. If you look at the back of a package, that address is still printed on every single one. However, I don't know that they do tours. Would be interesting if they do.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Your photos are of the old Grabow plant. The "new" one is up the road about a little ways on the left as you head out of Sparta.
They no longer give tours but you can walk into the lobby and buy pipes.

100_5552-600x450.jpg

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks ejames, I'll have to look out for the new location next time through. I wondered why the plant I saw had a hair salon working out of the front corner building - buy a pipe, get your hair done. :)
I love checking out old factories (pipe related or not) and this one made me slam on the brakes and turn around. The wife thought I had lost my mind...

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
It is amazing what you can run into. I lived in Georgia for years (as in born and bred and there professionally) and never knew that the Lane plant was in Tucker, GA, a 2 hour drive from Augusta. Next time I'm down there a visit will be a major part of the trip.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great post! I love that you spotted the old factory unexpectedly, and that another Forums member has a photo of the current plant, and that the locals bought the plant back from the bigger outfit. I may just go buy a Dr. Grabow out of shear enthusiasm. As I said in a post earlier today, the old U.S. factory pipes just have an aura for me. They're not all wonderful, and some of them are not so good, but when you find a good model at the nearly always reasonable price, they have a sturdy admirable magic all their own.
When Cornell & Diehl was still in Morganton, N.C., I was riding with some residents there who operate a sustainable hog farm and meat market. I asked about the C&D location, and the two looked at each other and shrugged. They had no idea that a pipe tobacco blender was in town. Pipes and pipe tobacco are an invisible empire.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
@Spencer - Be sure to get us some photos of the plant when you get down to Lane!
@mso - Made my weekend finding this plant along the way unexpectedly. Don't own any Grabow pipes, but I will stop in the lobby of the new plant next time and get me one for sure - "out of sheer enthusiasm" (loved that line).

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've been lucky in that I've been able to tour the Grabow factory three times. Saw or learned something new on each trip. Even though we're talking about cheaper factory made pipe,it was a fascinating seeing how a raw block of briar was turned into a finished pipe. There's many steps involved and many of them are done by hand. No factory made pipe is made entirely by machines.

Here's a video made by one of the DGCF member during the 2012 tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YE7cBc9q_4&feature=youtu.be

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was tempted anyway before this post, but it prompted me to go to tobaccopipes.com and order a Dr. Grabow Royalton Rustic pot with an acrylic stem, to go with my Royalton bent bulldog. Gotta keep that little plant in Sparta, N.C., churning out the briars. I know some feel these old line Americano factory pipes are strictly down market, but they have an enduring durable charm. I asked them to pick me out a good one to go with the bulldog. This post got me off the dime.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
They just sent out info about a new line that is available only by mail order, Info on the Grabow forum here-

http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/ftopic8168-0.php

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. Just two shapes? Is there a link to the actual Dr. G site where these can be ordered? I'm glad to see some new products from Dr. G and hope they make them in sufficient quantities so they are more accessible. 'Just ordered the one from tobaccopipes.com, so I think I'll get that one cooking first. It is said to have an .88 inch chamber diameter! That ought to be great for English blends, and it's still light enough to clench. (This is the Royalton Rustic pot with an acrylic stem.)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Hmmm. Just two shapes? Is there a link to the actual Dr. G site where these can be ordered? I'm glad to see some new products from Dr. G and hope they make them in sufficient quantities so they are more accessible. 'Just ordered the one from tobaccopipes.com, so I think I'll get that one cooking first. It is said to have an .88 inch chamber diameter! That ought to be great for English blends, and it's still light enough to clench. (This is the Royalton Rustic pot with an acrylic stem.)
Yep only two shapes,both are available in smooth or rustic. With these promotional pipes two shapes is all they ever make,a bent and a straight. The bent Victory pipes are not the normal Grabow bent billiard shape,but are similar to a Hillcrest shape used back 20 years or so.
All of the promotional pies can ONLY be ordered by mail order,not on the website--don't know why. You can download these order forms from the link I posted above or call or email Debbie Osborne and she will mail them to you or send as PDF in an email. Check or money orders only--no Paypal.
debbie.osborne@internationalpipes.com

336-372-5521

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm bewildered. Why do a special edition pipe that is so limited in availability? I sent off for the form, in case I decide I want one. I have the one coming from tobaccopipes.com, a standard item, with full specs revealed, tracked to arrive on Friday. This other deal, I'm struggling to understand. I'm imagining two factions of management, one wanting to do the special edition pipe, the other not -- or something. There has to be some explanation. I feel like Victory pipes should be beaming at me from my local independent pipe shop wall of pipes or at Tinder Box. I wonder if Dr. Grabow knows Iwan Ries has an opening for a house pipe source. I feel like I'm scouting these markets more than the marketing staffs. ejames, thank you kindly for the link for the form!

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I kind of like special edition to be a little off the beaten path.
And I won't use pay pal. Right up my ally.
Thanks for the link.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
seagull', I'd have to agree with you that the Dr. Grabow payment requirements are just my style. I don't do paypal, and persist with checks. Just got turned down at the vets for a check, and often am put off pipes where the deal is specified as pay pal only or preferred. Still, to have the acquisition of this special Victory edition so arcane seems self-defeating, if sales are the object. If it is strictly an honorific for insider newsletter folks, then maybe it's what's desired. But why? It's puzzling. I think few of the surviving pipe smoking World War II veterans could discover this offering, and that seems a shame. Maybe it could be offered through one or two of the old-line veterans groups that still have WWII membership.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ejames, that's a great video at the Dr. Grabow plant. One of the best detailed, step-by-step factory videos I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.