PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
Hello, I have been reading on some posts about clenching and breathing into the pipe causing it to stay lit, smoke cooler and have more taste, any suggestions? It seems like when I breathe into the pipe it almost always goes out, I totally believe this is worth learning but I think I am missing something?

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I wouldnt think too much about what people say. Piping is more about "feeling" your way around and eventually you will get the hang of it. That being said however I would respond to your question in the following way:
-I only really breathe into the pipe when I start detecting moisture (gurgle) in the bowl. A couple very slight outward puffs can help that go away.
-Sometimes breathing out can help rekindle the tobacco as well...sometimes
-Experiment with drying your tobacco out, I like mine bone dry.
-Listen to other suggestions, everyone has a different way and they can all help!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I don't think its a matter of "breathing through the pipe". I clench pipe continuously from the char to the ash, an hour later. Narry a relight involved. Group 3 or 4 straight billiards and lovats, mostly. Breathing is a separate function from smoking or sipping. Clenching helps you to regulate your smoking cadence with your breathing. So that you slow down your sipping. Nursing a cool ember, to maximize flavor and prolong your smoke. To help clench the pipe I use thin rubber rings made of thin surgical rubber. I slip these on before a smoke and remove them before racking the pipe. Gives me teeth something to cling to. And saves the soft vulcanite bit. Also, when you clench you stop focusing on the pipe, and with time it'll become second nature, so you're just smoking a pipe gently, without focusing on it. The less attention you pay to the act of smoking a pipe, why, the more profound the experience. It's hard to put into words, but after a while the pipe becomes part of you, and you pay no notice to it. That's when the best smokes happen. It's a zen sort of thing. Pay no mind and the pipe will pay you dividends. I know it sounds hoky, but in practice it really isn't. Clenching is where all starts, then you just let the pipe do its thing. Pretty soon you'll be smoking a pipe just like Robert Young.

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
Where do you find surgical rubber? I have tried everything to figure it out and it seems all I have figured out is the best ways to burn my tongue..ha maybe I just need to not think about it but I'm sure it will go out

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I also always clench from start to end. Everything Kashmir said is 100% on the money.
As for breathing thru the pipe, I do it, but not consciously. Since I'm clenching, though I mostly breathe through my nose, occasionally I will breath through my mouth, and some of the breath will go thru the pipe. This is obvious when a little wisp of smoke comes out the bowl, which is usually the only sign that the bowl is even lit.
People call it "breath smoking", but it's really just clenching and smoking without paying attention to it. Try clenching and reading a book at the same time, which is usually how you'll find me. After no time, you'll realize you've had the best smoke of your life. If you pack properly, you won't even have too many relights, but if you do- no big deal, eventually you'll keep that bowl smoldering without thinking about it.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Ditto what was said above. Here's the stuff I use. I get it at the hardware store. I like it better than those other softie bits that are much thicker. Also, I don't like racking my pipes with bit protectors on. Stuff grows under them.
IMAG1349-1-1.jpg

IMAG1347-1-1.jpg

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I noticed when I started to clench my abity to discern small nuances in the tobacco dramatically increased. I do blow a small amount of smoke back through the bowl every few puffs by habit. Just clench comfortably and you will eventually fall into a nice rhythm. Try not to overthink it.

Jul 12, 2011
I also found this information when I first started smoking as well, focused too much on it and missed the moment...Now I do the

clenching/breath smoking without even thinking about it :puffy:
+1 w/Kashmir

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
I'm sure I'm still over thinking it but can you give me an idea about the puffing cadence needed to just make a bowl smolder? Thank you very much for the posts!

You're probably not going to be able to jump right into an unconscious cadence, without getting the nuts and bolts of it right. My suggestion is to try focusing on smoking your pipe at the verge of it going out. This is how I prepare for a slow smoking contest. Just as soon as you get a nice slow cadence, keep slowing down even further. Eventually, you will just be able to keep it smoldering, and then eventually you will be able to do this without thinking. You'll keep your pipe cool and dry, the smoke cool, and pull as much enjoyment of the savory aroma and tastes as possible.
Someone else may have a better process, but this works for me. I subscribe to smoking as slow as possible, and it hasn't done me wrong yet. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and happy smoking.

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
That sounds really good, I know I am smoking to fast causing wet tasteless smokes, I think where my problem is that in my head I think that to smoke properly that there should be lots of smoke at all times, I really need to break that habit

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yeah, you probably need to slow down. The goal of pipe smoking is to kick back and relax. The benefit is you'll get a better flavor profile, and you won't suffer tongue bite, or palette scorching. Plus, your pipe will perform better, and your smoke will last longer. A good rule of thumb is that the pipe bowl should be warm to the touch. Bathwater warm. Eventually you'll forget its there and that's where those "magic smokes" come from.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
My smoking experience got WAY better once I realized that for me, slow smoking means the speed at which the smoke enters your mouth, NOT how often you puff. The smoke should just trickle, ooze into your mouth, taking maybe ten seconds just to get a mouthfull. Gentle, slow puffing is the key. And the ability to "read" the embers so that they are just going nicely-- and then keeping them there with tiny inhalations and exhalations-- THAT is the meditative and rewarding part for me. Any time I'm drawing a big gulp of smoke rapidly (even if it's only once a minute) I know I'm smoking too fast.
Everybody's got their own take on this. This is mine. YMMV.

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
I might have had it backwards I thought slow smoking was taking long breaks between puffs, I will try and slow down the pull on the pipe, that is something I have not tried

I forgot to say, "welcome to the forums." While I won't say that there is any right or wrong to pipe smoking, unless of course you're shoving it into your eye or putting the wrong end in your mouth, slow smoking and clenching is a way that I've always seen folks enjoying a pipe. I never had the compulsion to make a lot of smoke, because I just never saw this being done around the gentlemen smokers that I grew up amongst. Many others may have seen other styles, and whatever works for them. Me, my kids know when I'm angry with them, when they actually ever see the smoke, LOL.
Again, welcome. May you find your style, and may your pipe always bring you joy.

Jul 12, 2011
Others already have said it best, find "your" way...pipe smoking is a never ending journey
Also make sure that your bacci has had enough air-time and isn't too moist as that will also cause a wet, steamed and tasteless smoke along with a nasty case of mouth burn to go with it.
Packing of the bowl also has major bearing on the burn, so make sure to take your time with this step. Every pipe, bacci, cut/style and what you are looking for out of the smoke all weigh in here. Again once you find your way, you won't even be thinking about any of this stuff anymore, it will just come natural to you. It just takes time and patience..What I have learned the hard way when I was starting out and a battle I had with some of MC's Virginia blends...needless to say the bacci WON ;-)

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
I forgot to say, "welcome to the forums." While I won't say that there is any right or wrong to pipe smoking, unless of course you're shoving it into your eye or putting the wrong end in your mouth, slow smoking and clenching is a way that I've always seen folks enjoying a pipe. I never had the compulsion to make a lot of smoke, because I just never saw this being done around the gentlemen smokers that I grew up amongst. Many others may have seen other styles, and whatever works for them. Me, my kids know when I'm angry with them, when they actually ever see the smoke, LOL.
Again, welcome. May you find your style, and may your pipe always bring you joy.
Thank you guys, tonight I am going to try and get a good light and relax and see if I can figure it out

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
When I saw this earlier today I was hoping Kashmir would see it. I've read his explanations on clenching and smoking to the point the pipe does not even appear to be lit. He explains it better than anyone I've ever read it explained from. Combine that with Harris's explanation on how important a stem is to comfort and you have two very strong components of our hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.