PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmui

Might Stick Around
May 5, 2015
Hello all! As I just started to smoke without the softy bits, I am in a dilemma. I like clenching but now I fear I will ruin my stems with chatter.
I don't want to start a debate as I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times. For those of you who do clench. How do you deal with this? Do your pipes have chatter from clenching or even tooth marks? Does it bother you? Should I just not worry and smoke?
For those of you who don't clench. What are your reasons?
I love to clench but I also love my beautiful stems!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My pipes are light enough so I do not need to clench very hard to keep them in my mouth. I do not get chatter or toothh marks even on my vulcanite stems. Even if I did I wouldn't care as I buy my pipes to smoke, not to sell. If your stems are acrylic then you certainly don't need to worry as those are tough as nails. Also unless you are paying hundreds of dollars for your pipes, when you go to sell them, a little chatter won't really matter.

Who cares, it's not a borrowed pipe, rental, or lease is it? It's yours right? Smoke it. Mine all fit my teeth perfect, and I have no plans to ever sell them. The idea that they have to be pristine is maybe some guys idea of how they want their pipes, but I want to smoke mine to death, and thrown on my funeral pyre with me when I go. I don;t like the idea of anyone else smoking my pipes, ever.

If you want them perfect, then don't clench.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As a beginner, you could tend to clench more strongly than is necessary.

Different materials are more prone to become distorted from 'clenching'.

Clenching and breathing back into your pipe, intermittently, help the burn.

Replacement stems can be had.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
I started with softy bits, I took them off as they were too bulky. A stem is much more comfortable without them.
Word for word, I'm with Cosmic here.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I still use the softie bits, even after a couple of decades of piping. As for why I wouldn't clench, most of my pipes are far to large and heavy for clenching.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I have some old vulcanite stems with tooth holes all the way through. I won't ever sell my pipes, so it doesn't bother me. I smoke them, holes and all.
Besides, tooth marks and tooth holes remind me of when I has some really good teeth!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I am a clencher, and for the most part I use the softie bits. The reason I use them is because I have insanely sharp teeth,and I bore holes in stems at an alarming rate. The only exceptions are the acrylic stems on two of my Stanwells. They wear like iron, but are so hard I use the softies anyway. Two of my pipes have wide, thick vulcanite stems that are perfect without softies, so I run those bareback.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Settersbrace, are you still referring to pipes? :evil:
Jmuie, don't worry about the chatter. Think comfort. You either like the softies or not. They're to protect your teeth, not your stem.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Hi jmui,

Welcome to the brotherhood!

cigrmaster is right on the mark.

I've tried the softies and they do work, but I've decided to stay with smaller, lighter pipes, and cobs, and don't require them at all.

Besides, I clench the bit lightly and like to hold the bowl of my bents most of the time.

I don't have much chatter, and I really don't think much about it either.
Relax and enjoy!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've 'clenched' into a few MM cob bits and restricted the airway. They're nice and soft on your teeth, but they will get 'gummy'..I've used a candle and pipe cleaners to open them back up...but I hear that hot water is better.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I can't do the softy bits...just always struck me as a bit germy...
In addition to clenching lighter pipes, you also might try some bents- hanging pipes are much easier on the teeth...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I also cannot stand those softie things as they just skeeve me out thinking about all of those germs festering in them. All I can think of in regards to softies is a smelly, nicotine laden, rancid piece of rubber that makes the stem taste like some nasty p*ssy. lol

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
(It figures that the first post I would have to edit with my new found moderator powers would be one from Harris...)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just had two upper molars chip out within five days of each other. Old teeth. Luckily, so far, there was enough left of them to put crowns on them. I've never been a big clencher, just a little for a walk, or when writing, but never while driving or around the house that much. Maybe it's just as well. I hate it when the enamel or a large, old filling on a tooth breaks out. I still have a complete set of teeth, with two root canals and more crowns than I can enumerate, but it doesn't put me in mind to do a lot of clenching. I have three of my four wisdom teeth still in place. Mostly I clench only to light or relight, and for anything more, I only clench my lighter pipes.

jmui

Might Stick Around
May 5, 2015
Thank you all for the comments! I think I am happy with my decision!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I always clench... I am always working with a pipe in my mouth so its just kinda natural for me to be using my hands while smoking... I wouldn't worry about a thing.. Unless it is a pipe that is very special to you (aesthetically at least). Meaning, If you love the physical look of a pipe and do not want to make it "ugly", then I would save that pipe for a nice sit down smoke. I tend to work while smoking, so I pick my pipes that I don't mind messing up a bit.

jmui

Might Stick Around
May 5, 2015
Great suggestion smeigs! I think I will try and do that with my pipes. I will probably still clench a bit when I sitdown smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.