PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I was wondering who holds their pipe while smoking a bowl and who clenches in their mouth.

I have noticed that I tend to hold about 90% of the time. What is kinda weird though, is I noticed that I also tend to smoke out the left side of my mouth mostly but hold with right hand. So while sitting on the deck smoking I have a kinda cross handed thing going on.

Weird the things you think about during a nice quiet smoke.
Anyone else?

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
I would agree around 90% holding for me unless actively using hands. I have purposely bought smaller lighter pipe, (try to keep the bowl fairly large) for clenching. I use the rubber bit ends which helps for clenching. Interesting cross checking technique, barkar. What handed are you??? Not everyone likes the rubber bit ends. Once you put it over the end of some pipes, they are a struggle to get off in 1 piece.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Holder 99% of the time. I'm a little paranoid about chatter! Spent too much time getting teeth marks out of estate pipe stems I suppose.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@barkar
I smoke the EXACT same way, holding on left with right hand about 95% of the time unless I need my hands free which is when I clench ( usually if both hands are needed on the steering wheel while driving ). I am right handed.
Come to think of it, when I used to smoke nails, I used the same technique :crazy:

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
@barkar

@rcstan
It is not strange. If what I have observed is correct, we tend to put the smoke on the opposite side of where we are looking. So if you are looking to the right, you put the pipe on the left and vice versa.
It is also said in some books of body language that looking down and to the right is sign of a contemplative state. Remembering or feeling. Looking to the left is a more active state; thinking or planning or talking.
I came to this theory realizing that I too use to smoke on my left side when I am alone, but when they take pictures, my pipe uses to be on the right, because I was active and posing...
I also saw in this forum from pics, that in the pictures where someone is chilling sitting down, uses to clench on the left, while if they are doing something or being with other people, goes to the right.
Plenty of exceptions though, but I'll buy this hypothesis for the moment.

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
90%+ holder here. Used to use rubber bits, but took them all off this year. I don't clench anyway, so the soft rubber taste/feel along with the decreased mouth comfort due to the bit size made me wonder why I was still using them! I hold left handed usually and smoke normally to the left side of my mouth.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I am a clencher. The only time I am holding the pipe when I smoke is when I need to move it to the other side of my mouth.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Clencher, drooler, and doer. Not a sitter, holder, and relaxer. As cheap as cob stems are they are comfortable to clench.

gungnir

Lurker
May 22, 2012
Another 90% holder here I clench when I need two hands and sometimes when I'm just plain lazy.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Holder and I too smoke from the left side of my mouth with my right hand. Just feels right. :)

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
This thread has shown up more than a few times but I will offer up my preference anyways: Clencher. I hold some of the time, but I tend to clench more than anything. I usually avoid pipes that are over 40 grams.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I smoke while walking the dog, gardening, fishing most of the time. So I clench most of the time. If I am just chilling out on the back porch with a drink I will hold it for a while. I prefer smaller bowl pipes but have two larger ones.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
A little of both depending on what Im doing and the pipe Im using. Some of my pipes are just too heavy to clench. Others, like my cobs are not bad.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Some of both...

But, I'm a notorious clincher.
1Ajaws.jpg

It's amazing what a mustache will do for your looks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.