PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In fancy, multi-course meals, there is sometimes a course of sorbet or fruit, that they say

clears the palate for other complex flavors to come. (I'm not always a sumptuous diner, but

I'm married to a food writer, so bear with me here.) I find that sometimes I take a day or two

off from pipe smoking for just this purpose, to give my taste buds and sense of smell a rest.

Usually this works well, making the bowls I smoke when I resume much more flavorful. Do you

ever use this strategy?

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I have found since I quit cigs and picked up the pipe again that some foods do taste bland. I do rest sometimes but my resting will be going from about 10 bowls per day to about 1 or 2. I do that for a few days then it seems ok for a few days. I have gone a day or two without smoking my pipe and that's usually on the weekends if I'm too busy or just don't feel like it or crave it. I don't really crave the nicotine that much anymore since I don't inhale as much smoke compared to when I smoked cigs but I do get the craving and I just inhale a couple puffs from the pipe and I'm good for a few more days. Eventually I want to not inhale at all but it hard since I smoked cigs from about age 12 and stopped cigs about 8mo ago. I enjoy tobacco too much that I don't think I'll ever quit.

The reason I went back to the pipe is b/c the cigs were making me gag to the point where I thought I was going to up-chuck. I walked into a variety store, grabbed a cheap cob, and a brylon along some Mac B's 7 Seas Regular and havent wanted a cigarette since.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry guys, my fancy intro on this thread misled you. I'm not talking about a pipe smoking break to

enhance the flavor of food, I am talking about a day or two not smoking the pipe to increase the flavor

of the pipe when I return to it. The food discussion was only an analogy. I got too fancy. "My bad."

Do you ever take a pipe smoking break so the tobacco will be more vivid when you resume? That's the

question.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
No. Never even considered it as a day without my pipe would be horrible. I would be irritable and discontent.
I like the taste on my palate of pipe smoke, never had a desire to cleanse it...tastes good any time, and all the time. I use tobacco to cleanse my palate from my disgust at where our country is going and general bad taste I have from what I typically see on TV when my wife is watching.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I only smoke a few bowls a week(end), so it hasn't really been an issue so far. When I start doing "taste test" comparisons, I'll consider something between bowls - probably something neutral like water and soda crackers, as is common at wine tastings.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Well, I decided to take about 5-6 days off (I think it was that long) after sampling a bunch of non-aros to see if I liked them.
Now I am sampling a variety of aros, which has resulted in a couple that I liked - one was a sort of sleeper that I've added to my favorites and of which I will probably order more. A second one is also pretty good, but reserving judgment on that one until further bowls and other preps.
And sometimes, I just get too busy on the keyboard to deal with relights, etc.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I cleanse my palate by using Biotene mouth wash between bowls and I always have some kind of sweet drink in my hand while smoking, so far I have not found a need to take a break.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I don't take any time off from pipe smoking, unless I'm forced to, but I do try to mix up the blends each day to be better able to appreciate the variety of tastes. Usually, I'll smoke three bowls: a Virginia, an aro, and a Latakia, and I have enough different blends on hand to be able to experience a lot of variety.
Now I'm thinking of adding a cigar leaf to the mix. Maybe McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro cake. Anyone here tried it?

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Hey Cigrmaster, will biotene clean the palate after a good toothbrushing? I find that toothpaste affects the flavor of tobacco more than anything else.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I drink a tall glass of orange juice with my pipe and rinse with an alcohol based mouth wash after ever pipe, works for me! In case there's anyone new here, don't actually do that it. Will BURN! Lol I work 6 12 hour days, so I only smoke one day a week, never had a palate clearing issue.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
lost, yes the Biotene will get rid of the toothpaste taste very nicely. It also coats the mouth and is great for dry mouth. I believe every pipe smoker would benefit from using Biotene on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.