PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

outdoorboy26

Lurker
Jun 20, 2018
Hello. I couldn't log into my old account, so my post count is starting over. It's one of those days. lol. First thing this morning I dropped my unlit Peterson into the trash can. Normally not the end of the world. However, last night I emptied my chicken brooder box water container (which contained a few chicken droppings as well) into the trash can. Peterson pipe landed in a small poop of that nasty. I've never used anything to clean my pipe except a pipe cleaner and stem polisher for oxidation. But I'm having a real problem with putting my chicken poop pipe back in my mouth and definitely don't want salmonella. I've read on here about alcohol, pure grain alcohol, rum, whiskey, etc ... what is the best thing to sanitize this thing with? I know I shouldn't soak it. I just want it to be safe. By the way, it didn't get soaked in the trash. I rescued it immediately. It just got a little wet. It's just the thought of what it landed in that bothers me. Any help is appreciated.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
High proof alcohol for sure on the stem, that should 'burn' out anything. Treat it like an estate you just got and clean it accordingly. Lets face it, no one here knows the back story of every estate pipe they've bought.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Lets face it, no one here knows the back story of every estate pipe they've bought.
Oh yeah...I know. Just found out why I would find pieces of cat poo all around the floor near her bin...I caught my dog sneaking his filthy head in there to pull them out and was eating them... :evil:
I say this because I have discovered him licking my pipes from time to time if I lay it down after smoking and not immediately putting it away...so I have been just wiping it off like it's no big deal previously. Now I know they say that a dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans, but after gnawing on a cat turd, I can't agree with that statement.
I would say that the alcohol treatment on the stem is a must, just to be sure. For the bowl I wouldn't know exactly. Does anyone know if it's safe for the pipe to use a sanitary wipe on them? Or even rub on and off some hand sanitizer? I'm incredibly careful when it comes to chicken, even to an OCD point that if I cook chicken, I wash my hands about 500 times, I wash the cutting board and any utensils that touched it immediately after I'm done with them, then I use a clorox or other brand sanitary spray or wipe to wipe down my whole counter and sink. I don't mess around with chicken, pork, or fish. I could see this sending me over the OCD line very quickly. But that's just me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Alcohol won't kill a Vulcanite stem. If you're really worried, soak it in alcohol for 10 minutes or so. With an old stem you may need to repolish, but it will be just fine. Just don't go anywhere near it if it starts laying pipelets.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very hot water does the trick, and the pipe will come out fresher than a daisy. That's a flush, not a soak, and drying after. No need for alcohol at all, unless you feel better mentally using such, internally or externally.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I would stuff something flammable it the bowl and set fire to it. Some old tobacco would do. The resultant heat and smoke should kill just about anything.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
"tribbles" ha!
Everything tastes like chicken anyway so....
giphy.gif

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I'd run hot tap water through the bowl and stem. Then I would use 150 proof or better alcohol inside/outside the stem. The alcohol may not be necessary, but I am paranoid of bacteria from crap. It is more the idea than the reality, but that's how I'd deal with this shitty situation :puffy:

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Your story was the first thing I read in the morning, and have to admit it made me smile.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd run hot tap water through the bowl and stem. Then I would use 150 proof or better alcohol inside/outside the stem. The alcohol may not be necessary, but I am paranoid of bacteria from crap. It is more the idea than the reality, but that's how I'd deal with this shitty situation :puffy:
Good idea. But then an additional quick flush with hot water to remove the alcohol. Alcohol is not good for wood. (But its deleterious effects may not become apparent for a lifetime.)

Status
Not open for further replies.