PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Hoping to get a little help with one of my clean ups. The stem on one of the pipes had a metal tenon and theres a lot of gunk on it. I've been able to clean it up a good amount but plenty of fine grooves and cuts in it that I can't completely clean. Is there an easy fix or is this just plenty of elbow grease time? Here is a photo of where I'm at with it right now.

On a different note, I used the magic eraser on the stem....man does that do wonders!!

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Alright, I've been using vodka for cleaning the inside of the stem and bowl, would that work (I know it's a lower proof)? Also I'm assuming it's alright if it gets on the outside of the stem?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
khartman:
I cannot speak to the efficacy of vodka as a cleaning solvent, as all that I have ever used is the aforementioned Everclear. I do not believe that either liquor will hurt the Vulcanite, although I find that Everclear does tend to dull its appearance, a problem which I remedy by waxing with carnauba.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Vodka should be fine. I've been Using 100 proof store moonshine to good effect. I also use a wire brush to get into the nooks and crannys. For super stubborn stuff ive resorted to sandpaper.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Ok, well I'll start with the vodka since I already have it. I'll go with everclear if the vodka isn't working. Thanks!

purplemotoman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
If you soak that part in OxiClean mix for about 15 minutes a Magic Eraser will remove it completely.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I use a small brass wire brush and/or 0000 steel wool after soaking the gunk.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Everclear would be better, but a lower proof alcohol should still loosen the crud.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
I put it in the vodka for about an hour and scrubbed a little more off. I think I need to just let it sit for the afternoon and keep working on the other stems I have that just need the magic eraser.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Extra soaking time has never hurt a stinger of mine. I always prefer more time soaking to more time scrubbing.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I've use Oxyclean and Everclear (does anyone really drink that stuff?!). Then I use thin pipe cleaners to clean the inside of the stinger and a microfiber towel for the exterior.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Too bad you're not in my part of the world- 20 seconds with ultra-fine glass bead in my micro blasting cabinet would make that as good as new….:)

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Well I let it sit in the vodka for about 4-5 hours. Pulled it out and with a little scrubbing with the magic eraser and got pretty much everything. Really just need to take a toothpick to get some of the tiny tiny corners. Thanks everyone for the help!
Plateauguy--> True story, everclear was the first alcohol I had. Put some in a 20 oz gatorade with some skittles when I was a freshman in college. Burned like hell going down until about 3/4 done and then tasted like skittles....being rather intoxicated may have biased my taste........nah probably tasted like skittles.
Zack24--> That would be awesome, oh well. I guess doing this by hand is a good way to learn how hard restoring can really be.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
BOOM!!!!

HOLY COW!! The amazing work of 15 minutes in oxyclean and then a little work with the magic eraser! Now I just need the pipe reamer to show up from P&C!!

Status
Not open for further replies.