Tags:  No tags yet. 

Cleaning Estate Pipes

(18 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by loki993
  • Latest reply from captainsousie
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

loki993

Login to Send PM

Ok, I got the estate pipe off of ebay and its in really nice shape. Not a ton of cake so doesn't look like it was smoked very heavily. Here is the thing though, I'm trying to clean it and dirt just keeps coming out of it. Pipe cleaner after pipe cleaner and q-tip after q-tip. Doesn't seem to be getting much better either. Is there any trick it is or is it really going to take a whole box of q-tips to clean this thing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. crk69

crk69

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Where is the "dirt" coming from? The shank, stem or bowl?.. Sometimes it will take a lot of cleaning if the previous owner never routinely cleaned their pipe... I use a shank brush dipped in alcohol to clean my shanks and stems, prior to using pipe cleaners and q-tips... Just be careful not to take off the finish with the excess alcohol..

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society
    Member NASPC
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

loki993

Login to Send PM

The shank and the stem. I do have a shank brush but even that just keeps coming out dirty. Its a filter pipe too so I think maybe that why its so nasty in there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try the bristle pipe cleaners, if they are Dill's they're in a red package. Are you dipping them in alcohol?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

loki993

Login to Send PM

I have some of them, but I havent used a ton of them. Yes I am. Its almost like the woods leeching old tobacco or somthing

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very possible, if it was heavily smoked, especially with wet tobaccos, the wood could be inundated with juice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Filter pipes,especially if they are smoked without the filter can get really nasty if not maintained. I smoke mostly filter pipes and have gathered a few "specialty tools" for cleaning nasty estates. Once they are thoroughly cleaned all you need is a few Q-tips and a couple of pipe cleaners. I modified a set of cheap clay carving tools to use a scrapers to get out the heavy crud and then the brushes,finishing up with Q-tips and PC's. None of the scraping tools have edges sharp enough to damage the briar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

loki993

Login to Send PM

Nice set up, where did you get the bigger brushes? I have the shank brush on the bottom but sometimes I think its a little too small and a wider one would get more crud off.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. crk69

crk69

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The bigger ones look almost like brushes for cleaning out test tubes.. Might look at science supply sites....

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

loki993

Login to Send PM

yeah maybe, because the problem I had when I was looking for them was I would only either find the small ones or ones that were way too big for like cleaning pipes, like the plumbing kind, not the smoking kind lol and stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

12. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe try some new nylon gun cleaning brushes, found almost anyplace easily.

Greg
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A 22 caliber bore brush is good on larger pipes. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup, I use .17, .22, & .223. Some of the shotgun brushes are good for bowls, too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are there any bacteria or virus that can actually remain a problem on an estate pipe? The only "germ"
    I know of that can live for long periods outside the body is TB. Supposedly, those little devils can lie
    dormant in dust between tiles or other similar places. Is this even a consideration, or only for the
    germophobic? Just a curiosity, not much of a concern, so far as I know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Alcohol like isopropanol or Ever Clear should kill all bacteria, fungi & viruses. I wouldn't worry about germs from estates. But while we're on the subject, I use retorts. There is nothing so efficient as boiling alcohol in cleaning a pipe. I also use various nylon brushes between retorts while the pipe is still hot. DonDont be surprised at having to use many dozens of Q-tips in the cleaning process. I take the whole thing down to bare wood.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. andrew

Comrade Stalin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Give it the salt and alcohol treatment then a good cleaning

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A couple of those brushes look suspiciously like brass instrument mouthpiece brushes to me. If you want it clean a bit faster, a retort works well but you have to watch the stem material as some stem types do not retort well.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kaboom, lordofthepiperings, sparks, dmcmtk, wayneteipen, mcitinner1, ravenwolf, northernneil, kapnizo, sugarcane1, papipeguy, renfield, lucky695, cosmicfolklore, melvinsunsmokedcastello, mso489, dread, zekest, retrogasm, petes03