PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
Ok, I got the estate pipe off of ebay and its in really nice shape. Not a ton of cake so doesn't look like it was smoked very heavily. Here is the thing though, I'm trying to clean it and dirt just keeps coming out of it. Pipe cleaner after pipe cleaner and q-tip after q-tip. Doesn't seem to be getting much better either. Is there any trick it is or is it really going to take a whole box of q-tips to clean this thing.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Where is the "dirt" coming from? The shank, stem or bowl?.. Sometimes it will take a lot of cleaning if the previous owner never routinely cleaned their pipe... I use a shank brush dipped in alcohol to clean my shanks and stems, prior to using pipe cleaners and q-tips... Just be careful not to take off the finish with the excess alcohol..

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
The shank and the stem. I do have a shank brush but even that just keeps coming out dirty. Its a filter pipe too so I think maybe that why its so nasty in there.

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
I have some of them, but I havent used a ton of them. Yes I am. Its almost like the woods leeching old tobacco or somthing

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Filter pipes,especially if they are smoked without the filter can get really nasty if not maintained. I smoke mostly filter pipes and have gathered a few "specialty tools" for cleaning nasty estates. Once they are thoroughly cleaned all you need is a few Q-tips and a couple of pipe cleaners. I modified a set of cheap clay carving tools to use a scrapers to get out the heavy crud and then the brushes,finishing up with Q-tips and PC's. None of the scraping tools have edges sharp enough to damage the briar.

100_5894-1024x768-600x450.jpg

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
Nice set up, where did you get the bigger brushes? I have the shank brush on the bottom but sometimes I think its a little too small and a wider one would get more crud off.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
The bigger ones look almost like brushes for cleaning out test tubes.. Might look at science supply sites....

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
yeah maybe, because the problem I had when I was looking for them was I would only either find the small ones or ones that were way too big for like cleaning pipes, like the plumbing kind, not the smoking kind lol and stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Are there any bacteria or virus that can actually remain a problem on an estate pipe? The only "germ"

I know of that can live for long periods outside the body is TB. Supposedly, those little devils can lie

dormant in dust between tiles or other similar places. Is this even a consideration, or only for the

germophobic? Just a curiosity, not much of a concern, so far as I know.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Alcohol like isopropanol or Ever Clear should kill all bacteria, fungi & viruses. I wouldn't worry about germs from estates. But while we're on the subject, I use retorts. There is nothing so efficient as boiling alcohol in cleaning a pipe. I also use various nylon brushes between retorts while the pipe is still hot. DonDont be surprised at having to use many dozens of Q-tips in the cleaning process. I take the whole thing down to bare wood.

Aug 1, 2012
A couple of those brushes look suspiciously like brass instrument mouthpiece brushes to me. If you want it clean a bit faster, a retort works well but you have to watch the stem material as some stem types do not retort well.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
ejames, thanks for the pictures of your tools. I just happened across this thread looking up retort info. I've gone through boxes of q-tips trying to clear out the grunge. This really helps.

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
if you have removed the visable gunk, you could also try a salt and alcohol treatment. Retorts work well, I never seemed to get the hang of it and was always worried about the stem getting two hot and misforming. The salt and alcohol treatment has worked well for me. If is a grungy estate it might even needed a couple of rounds with the salt and alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.