PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A good soul in the Forums membership sent me a stately billiard Meerschaum with light grape motif etchings on the bowl, in a handmade box probably from the original owner. It has an engraved plate with a name! It has some charring on the rim, about like most of my pipes and not objectionable, and graceful light coloration on the bowl which is (I think) lightly waxed. I don't want to mess up the coloring at all, and I don't mind a little charring on the rim ... means it's a good smoker. The screw-in stem needs a clean-up but is not chewed or worn. So here's my plan, and please let me know what's appropriate. I plan to soak the stem in dishwashing liquid, with a little scrubbing with a pipe cleaner, then rinse it off and give it a few pipecleaner swabs with alcohol. The bowl I plan to simply rinse and pipecleaner out and leave as is. My main objective is to do the usual sanitizing and not alter the pipe's patina and look at all. Can I soak the bowl in dishwashing liquid without removing the wax? I like the finish the way it is. Forgive my lack of Meer knowledge. After forty years of pipes (well, on and off) this is my first Meerschaum.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First off, let me just get my jaw off the floor - our beloved Tom has a Meer!
Secondly, I have been told / have read that using alcohol on a Meerschaum is a definate no no. So as long as you are just cleaning the stem you are fine. The bowl in mine just gets wiped with a baby wipe afterwards and that's all the maintainence.
I hope it's a good smoker for you, and you post your impressions of it. I would ask for pictures, but Not only do I know better, if you did my heart might stop.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ha! mike', I'm a known quantity here on Forums. I'll keep the alcohol away from the Meerschaum, just use it on the stem, and just enough to clean out the airway. Yes, this is a real treat. I've avoided Meerschaum only fearing a new bout of PAD. For now, I'm absorbed in cleaning up this one, so I'm safe. For now.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I see no problem with your plan except I don't understand the soaking of the bowl. Why? Cake? If there is cake, some gentle scrapping with a knife, round nose if available. No digging really just scrape lightly and gently until you expose meer, light brown, just colored mineral. And you should be good to go.
I'd sanitize the bit with alcohol soaked pipe cleaner, fill it, lean back and savor. Maybe some ghosting, I seriously doubt it, smoke through it would be my suggestion.

Reactions: Mr_houston

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hot water flush all through; no alcohol needed. I'd use some dish detergent to help remove grime and wax from the surface. And some pix!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren, jpmcwjr, others, I was conservative. I wetted down the bowl enough to soften the cake (there was a build-up) and used paper towels to scour it out so the bowl is pretty clean, still a carbon layer. Didn't soak the bowl at all. I did soak the stem in dishwashing liquid, and that seemed to be fine with this stem material, and I ran a pipecleaner soaked in alcohol through the airway. I let everything dry before I matched up the two. The stem went on just fine, tight, and squared up. Now I'm in deep deliberation on which blend to use for christening. I have a "thank you" tin of blend wrapped and addressed to the generous Forums member who sent the pipe. We lay low for a few days for Florence, but we're out and about now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm going to launch this pipe soon (any day, any minute). In cleaning it up to smoke, the question occurred to me. A/the previous owner, before the Forum member who generously sent it to me, obviously took good care of it, even making a special box as a case for it, and kept it spruce and clean. I was surprised to see that there was a thick coating of cake in the bowl; I probably scoured it out with about six rounds of twisted paper towel, which went from heavy with ash, to free of it. Isn't Meerschaum usually cleared of ash completely after each smoke to retain the minimal to nil carry over of flavor between smokes? I even do this with my briar pipes, but I thought it was pro forma with Meer. This wasn't an actual cake layer you see on many estate briars, but it was quite a bit. People have their habits, and not everyone (including me) knows Meer lore.

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
I leave the cake in mine and ream it every month, in my opinion you get faster coloring with a little cake, as for cleaning the outside, about every six months give it a wax bath and it will keep it shiny and bright. Congrats on your new acquisition as it will undoubtedly be the best smoking pipe you will own, been smoking meers for years and love mine.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I clean mine after each use with a doubled over pipe cleaner and once in a while I’ll rinse it out with hot water and ream it out real good with a paper towel. So really, I treat it like any other pipe. Hope you enjoy your meer. They’re nice to have. I’ll smoke mine exclusively for a week or more, then put it away for a week.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I clean my meers each Sunday with the rest of the pipes I've smoked the previous week. No cake needed nor wanted in my meerschaums so, they get a quick scrape in the bowl, down to meer. The stem/bit gets reamed until the cleaners come out clean. That's it. My newest meer is thirty-five plus years old and coloring nicely.
The routine is: After they are smoked they sit in an ashtray until the next night or Sunday. I irregularly rotate between eight meers, each pipes getting three or five smokes each night for one night or a couple of nights. There is no rhyme nor reason to selection each evening. One of the reasons I love meers is a pipe can go all day and next or, more and still proved a great smoke.
I've never had the original wax disappear, even after fifty years of hard use so, never had a reason to add wax. Mine are old pipes and perhaps manufacture methods differ now. I did go through the "wax aids in coloring" phase many years ago. Anecdotal evidence said I was simply adding wax and the color of the wax. But, that is anecdotal.
In winter, if house=bound, a meer might get eight or ten bowls smoked in a day if it's the first selected pipe in the morning. Meers for me are normally an in-the-house choice. Briars are smoked inside and out. Cobs are mostly during hard labor outside or fishing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren, you sound like you have a great relationship with your Meers. I think mostly I will follow your example with mine, though my rotation will remain mostly briars and cobs, since they are my oldest friends. My Meer is an estate, so it may have some of the virtues of years past.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To quote myself from the "What Are You Smoking" thread:
C&D Riverboat Gambler in my first Meer, a straight billiard with tapered stem, courtesy of a venerable fellow Forums member, for which many thanks! It's certainly a new and pleasingly clarified pipe smoking experience.
Many, many thanks. This is a great pipe. And thank you all for the good suggestions, advice, and encouragement.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Meer seems to bring up the components of a blend nicely, so I can see how it would expand and make more vivid some of my favorite OTC's. Which I will certainly try!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm a couple days late to this thread, but I actually posted a video on my YT channel today specifically about cleaning meerschaum pipes. You can find it here along with other informative meerschaum video's I've posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77dqSPa3ceE
FYI... my intro is about a minute long so skip to 59 seconds if you want to skip the intro. Hope it helps going forward, and enjoy your new to you Meerschaum pipe.

Reactions: Kozeman
Status
Not open for further replies.