PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
What's the best way to go about cleaning a rusticated/finished plateau? I have two Nordings with plateaus that wiping just won't work. I was thinking of taking a soft toothbrush and vinegar to it and lightly brush it so I don't damage the stain, but I'm open to other suggestions.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
The soft brush should do most of the job by itself, I would start with a dry brush, then perhaps a bit of water. Vinegar should by okay, but I would test in a less conspicuous spot first, as all stains are not created equal.
Cheers. :puffy:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Stay away from vinegar. Use distilled water if you need a solvent.
Here's what I would do.
1) Put distilled water in a tea saucer or shallow plate.

2) Rest the stummel rim down in the water for about two minutes.

3) Remove the stummel and begin removing tars and smoke from the rim with a cotton tea towel.

4) IF needed, then consider dipping a soft plastic bristle brush in distilled water and scrubbing the plateau.
For exceedingly soiled plateau tops or rusticated bowls, I have been known to use murphy's oil soap and a toothbrush. But in all instances this will require re-staining as the amount of stain that is leached is significant.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Double post because of the stupid (and important) 10 minute edit rule...
Tea Towels - https://www.google.ca/search?q=tea+towel&biw=1257&bih=684&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=aT-MVe6OLcqXsAWzmpAY&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Pat, you should know that Yanks don't know shit about tea. They drink Coca Cola and stuff that they call beer.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Spit and a soft brush/q-tips... and patience.
Peck, 1. I totally agree that the vast majority of Americans don't know shit about tea.
2. However, our craft beer is as good as any beer out there. I am just disheartened at my fellow Americans blind, zombielike fascination with Pale Ales. Despite this, I have too many choices of uber beer since I live in the Pac NW.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
+1 water/spit and soft brush/q-tips.

1. We know all about tea. At the Waffle House, you can get sweet tea or regular tea. You sip either while gazing appreciatively at the fly-specked Women of Waffle House '83 calendar on the wall.

2. Wyfbane, I'm not sure about the Pale Ales thing. If you're talking about the miserable, mass-produced, watery excuse for a "Pilsner" the megas make, then I agree. However, I think a lot of our craft brewers poduce many high-quality pale ales.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Yanks as in east or west of the pond, or as Yankees, north or south of the Mason Dixon?
No need to bring up Manson or Nixon...
FWIW - I find spit can be too acidic and has a tendency to leach stain from the top of the plateau, or rim edges. This is why I prefer distilled water.
-- Pat

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
@ Peck, I know you were jesting, and I know about cheap beer in the Great White North. I've gotten 'housed many a time on Kokanee and Molson. I went to school 50 min south of Vancouver BC. =)
@aldecaker, I never said Pale Ales were bad, I just am sad they make up 70% of the offerings from the average craft brewer. I took that to mean that American demand for those tart bevvies is high. I do NOT prefer hoppy IPA's. I am a malty dark beer guy.
That and a Belgian Lambic (off topic I know). Lindeman's Framboise is like that one Aro that is a guilty pleasure...
=D

Status
Not open for further replies.