PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallguy

Lurker
Sep 2, 2014
Hello!
While cleaning my first MM corncob with regular pipe cleaners, I realized that since the inside of the bowl is rougher than inside the interior of a briar pipe, there are lots of little pieces of the pipe cleaners that sticks inside. Am I doing something wrong... Am I using the good cleaners?
I saw on eBay some nylon cleaners for pipes, but I am a little afraid of using these since I think that they may scratch the interior of the pipe (at least for my briars).
Thank you for your advice!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
For the bowl I just lightly run the pick on my pipe tool around inside till all the dottle comes out, then a pipe cleaner in the stem only.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My reason for cleaning out the bowl after each smoke is to help keep the cake formation down.
I keep it just thick enough to where you can still see the kernels on the inside of the bowl.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
I thought the whole point of a cob is that you don't need to clean it.
As for myself, the whole point is an inexpensive alternative that I can use and abuse with more regularity than a better briar. But I still maintain mine with nearly as much care to the inside as I do my briars. I clean the bowl in the same way that's been mentioned, with a quick wipe of a twisted paper towel. However, I run a cleaner down the stem to the bowl after use to help dry up the moisture. I'll then use a nylon brush for the stem and shank to remove the cotton left behind by the pipe cleaner prior to next use. When I feel it necessary, I'll lightly use a little sweetener on and in the stem to keep them fresh. Corn Liquor makes an excellent cob sweetener ....er..... or so I've been told. 8)

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
For the bowl I just lightly run the pick on my pipe tool around inside till all the dottle comes out, then a pipe cleaner in the stem only.
The operative word here is LIGHTLY. I have ruined a cob or two by poking out the bottom. They seem to be very vulnerable right after use, especially if still warm and damp.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
When I get my General cobs I pump a dab of fireplace mortar repair on each side of the stem sticking 3/4 of the way in bowl, smooth out and I never have Dottle in the btm cracks, cleans up very good.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Wipe out the bowl with a bit of rolled up paper towel, run a pipe cleaner through the stem with a some 151 or 191 proof alcohol and your set to go. Ya just gotta love them cobs... :wink:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I use a pipe tool with a dull rounded tip blade to scrape the walls every few bowls; I don't want much of a cake in my cobs either. For the stems, I'll occasionally soak them in white distiller vinegar; that stuff takes out stains and odors from all types of plastics. And Brad's advice on the fireplace mortar is pure gold! :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think my first foray into pipe modification will be replacing an MM stem w/bamboo. Looks doable. I'll try to get the draw hole in the right place of course, but my objective is a 5/32 hole from shank to stem.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I use my Czech tool to scrape out any dottle and every couple smokes I'll run a pipe cleaner down the stem and in the bowl. I've never had a problem with my cleaners leaving anything behind. What kind of cleaners are you using?

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
They're so cheap, just get a few cobs and smoke 'em till they burn through. I have never felt the need to clean my cobs.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
smoke 'em till they burn through. I have never felt the need to clean my cobs.
IF they burn through, you were smoking them wrong in the first place.
Also, If you never clean your cob it will taste like crap after only a handful of smokes.
My oldest, most smoked cobs are my best cobs. I'll bet the pipe that aept1 posted smokes like a dream.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
^^ I totally agree. I can't see any reason whatsoever to treat a cob any differently than a briar. Yikes, I can't even imagine never cleaning a cob... YUK! Also, as you pointed out, if you manage to burn out a cob then your not smoking it right. When all is said and done a cob should last for many, many years if taken care of properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.