Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Clay Pipes!!!

(17 posts)
  1. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

Hi, I purchased clay pipes from this website Penn Valley Pipes & Tobacco a few months ago.

First of all, they are great pipes. I love them more than my cheap briar pipe and the owner is very kind-hearted.

However, after smoking happily for numerous times, something bad happened....

Recently, I visited my friend's house for thanksgiving and used his fireplace to clean my pipe.

Everything was going perfect and I could see that my pipe was becoming as white as when I first got them from the package.

However, as time went by, I realized that the place where fire did not really touch was getting charred and black... it almost seemed like somebody rubbed a charcoal on them.

I tried to lay my pipe on woods in different position, but the place where flame didn't touch directly became black again.... (very frustrating....)

And after "cleaning" them, I drew some air through the pipes and was disappointed by heavy taste of log and ash.....

So please, tell me, how can I clean my clay pipes in a proper way?

I also have another question.

I also noticed that there are some cracks in my pirate pipe!!!! (NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I guess carrying the pipe around wrapped in bubble-wrap was not really protecting the pipe.....

So, how do you carry your clay pipes?

Thank you

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

[/img]

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. pawpaw

pawpaw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

well the mirowave is out i have read but aint tried the oven on self cleaning mode and i was thinking when i do clean wally i was gonna put into the bed of coals from a caqmp fire over night

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Self cleaning oven. If you dont have one (i dont) put your oven as hot as it goes, it wont remove the color, but it will remove all taste, also ive heard that charcoal grill coals work too, never tried it.

I can attest to the first method though

Congress seems to believe that 'Children are our future' is a phrase coined by tobacco advertisers.
    Jef I. Richards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

Ok guys, I figured out a really good way to clean these pipes...

Bed of coals ain't gonna clean them well... it will only make them charred (just like in my photos...)

Oven is not the best way to clean pipe either because my pipes smelled funny when I got 'em out from the oven

because my friend used the oven for his pizza.

So MY best way to clean clay pipes is to use stove; just burn those pipes with the blue flame!!!

Just be careful with this method because you can burn your hand while trying this method, so wear oven-mittens or

use tongs!

Don't believe me? Pictures speak for themselves.

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. pawpaw

pawpaw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

very nice but i think i am gonna try and smoke my wally till it is black all over

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just read their care guide online and I am curious about something: Is it really necessary to clean a clay pipe to get rid of gunkiness and tastes? It sounds to me like the clay would absorb all the tars and gunk that you would have to clean out of a briar pipe, and their care guide makes it sound like the only reason you would need to clean a pipe is to remove obstructions that get into the pipe. I would assume that as long as the airway is free, you shouldnt really need to clean the pipe, unless you care about the clay being nice and white again. Am I correct in assuming this or am I mistaken?

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. pawpaw

pawpaw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yes

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. nathaniel

Nathaniel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought the same thing. The clay develops a desired patina to it just like meerschaum I believe. So... the blacker the better right?

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the patina on mine, buuuuttt, there is something cool about having a reset button

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I guess it's pretty a good idea to build patina and even "cake" in your clay pipe, but I just thought that my tobacco's taste was getting marred by all those residues built inside. Besides, those clean-white pipes look so good again!!! McClelland's Classic Samsun tasted so good when I smoked it with a cleaned pipe. (such a lovely blend...)

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. morlader

morlader

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've only got one clay (avatar)and I don't clean it.I always remember to wet the mouthpiece first though 'cos it isn't glazed.

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. tonypuff

tonypuff

Login to Send PM

Wow they look brand new!

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. mrdirt22

mrdirt22

Login to Send PM

I would really like a clay pipe. I'm just certain that I would drop it at some point.

If a gas stove works, would you suppose a propane torch would work too?

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

I'm assuming that it might work... but you are talking about blow torch aye? Well, then I'm pretty sure that it will clean the pipes faster since it produces flame with higher temperature. Just be careful with it because the pipes get red hot (literally glowing red like scorching iron in blacksmith shop) when they make contact with flame for a long time. I am not really sure if they are going to shatter after being exposed to high temperature, but just be cautious.

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

For those who are thinking about getting clay pipes:

Buy them from this website Penn Valley Pipes & Tobacco.

Before I tried the "stove-method" I sent an email to KC Ellis (the owner of the shop) about my trial-by-fire, cracking and ultimately, failure. And today, he replied to my letter this morning, saying he would send me A NEW SET OF PIPES!!!

This man knows what he's talking about, he's very approachable, kind-hearted, his customer-service is fantastic and his pipes smoke great.

Of course, Dawn Mist Studio has more variety of clay pipes which are hand-made by the owner. However, I think Penn Valley Pipes & Tobacco has very good pipes with way cheaper price (almost half of Dawn Mist's pipes)

So yeah!!! Go check 'em out!!! My pipes are called "The Buccaneer Detective Combo" or "Sherlock and the Case of the Dutch Pirate Pipe" There are more combinations of course...

Posted 7 years ago #
  17. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Someone needs to make a pipe out of spam...

Matt.
    Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   codecreatively, lawayna, dmcmtk