PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exibar

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
What do you guys think? I fell in love with this claw shape Pipe "imported from italy" Briar... I believe it's a Danco?

I bought this on ebay a while back, and then found another bent stem claw and bought that one too... I finally got around to cleaning one up and making her ready to smoke. She smokes nicely, no gurgle to speak of. I did remove the stinger, not sure if I should put it back in... I never really understood the purpose of stingers other than to slow down / restrict the airflow.
Whatcha think of it? anyone know anything about these Claw Pipes? I only saw one other one come up on Ebay, a straight one, and I bought that one too :)
Looks like I inadvertently left in a scratch or two on the bit... I'm thinking I'll sand a bit more with 400 grit working down to 1500... then polish again to remove that deep scratch, not sure how much it bugs me yet though :)
thanks!

Mike B
3WWor9K.jpg

OllBxkI.jpg

3f2YhoF.jpg

LbujiI2.jpg

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Nice Job on cleanup!! I've only ever seen one or two other briar claws and I love them. I would say give the stinger a chance. They are supposed to help cool the smoke, but if they restrict the airflow too much for you definitely leave it out. Just make sure not to lose it and to keep it with the pipe. They are more valuable WITH the original stinger and if you ever decide to get rid of it, its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Congrats!! :)

exibar

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
thank you! I'll be cleaning up the other one this weekend I think.
I'll never sell it, but what do you think it's worth? Are these rare pipes? oh boy, that'll make me nervous smoking them :)
thanks!

Mike B

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Like I said, I've only seen a couple BRIAR claws. The rest have been meerschaum. I have no idea the value or rarity. Other members would be able to tell you better than I. Briar is pretty tough and much less delicate than meerschaum. So, just treat them with care and respect, and maintain them properly, and they will provide you with years of smoking pleasure. Do not fret. ENJOY!! :)
Please post pics of the other one when you get it cleaned! :mrgreen:

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Your pipe isn't particularly old, rare or valuable. But it looks good and you did a nice job on it. Smoke away!

Status
Not open for further replies.