PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernieheimte

Lurker
Jan 30, 2017
So....I am a beginning smoker that loves traditional tobacco taste and looking for a everyday tobacco. To help you understand me better, I drink Bud Lite because I enjoy the flavor and like the price point, not to much but not the cheapest. Also would like that the tobacco would be readily available so that I will not struggle to procure it. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Or Carter Hall. But yup, exactly my thoughts as well. If ever there was a Bud Light and Miller Light of pipe tobacco, it's Prince Albert and Carter Hall.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
I suppose there is a reason why Bud Light is one of the most sold beers. And it seems there is a tobacco taste for everyone. I've still yet to give those a try.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I'm going to have to throw Sir Walter Raleigh into this mix, I think you'll enjoy it as much if not more then Carter Hall or Prince Albert. :puffy:

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Prince Albert Choice, Sir Walter Raleigh, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, Half and Half, Velvet, Middleton's Cherry.
You should be able to find at least one of these in a store that sells bud lite. I still get my tubs of Carter Hall from the grocery store.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
C&D's Big 'n Burley is just a mouse click away. The price point is quite attractive, the tobacco is wonderful.

Another outside of the realm of 'codger' blends, but deserving is Peter Stokkebye's #702.

D&R has a few tobacco flavored blends worth the price and the effort. Their ribbon cut VA's and VaPas are excellent, and they've got some nice burley too. TwoTimer is a double toasted burley that yields a cool, dry smoke you can enjoy anytime, or all the time.

One thing about burley tobacco for me is that each one seems to require more than one or two bowls (and this really applies to any blend) to suss out the true flavors.

Making a judgement about a blend after one or two bowls is premature.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
For what it's worth, my current everyday is Daughter's and Ryan Three Sails. Some say it's straight cigarette tobacco, but I really get some great Virginia flavor from it and it packs easy and burns great. This from a never cigarettes guy.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'll second the Lane RR. I liked PA better than CH,and Prince A special better yet, although that is harder to find. I intend to revisit some codger burleys later this year.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Lane Limited Ready Rubbed is fabulous stuff, but I didn't think it would meet the "readily available" requirement. Maybe it does, but I've not yet seen it in an on-the-shelf retail setting. Which reminds me, I should probably order more soon...

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
C&D's Pegasus sounds like it would fit into your lifestyle perfectly. In the same ballpark as Prince Albert, but with a little more kick and better taste.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1588/cornell-diehl-pegasus

bernieheimte

Lurker
Jan 30, 2017
Thanks so much group! This is really helpful as I am beginning to learn, and all the information I can gather is great. I will try to Prince Albert for sure and I will also look towards some of the others listed. Thanks again so much , I know I will be asking more questions!

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
I have been on an OTC binge lately and have given Velvet my #1 ranking on the dj11 chart. Hit bound at #2 is Half and Half. Sir Walter Raleigh is pretty good too. Carter Hall would be third followed by Prince Albert. Heck, I even tried Mixture 79 and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... Not sure I will buy another pouch though but at least I tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.