PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
My standing Serpentade Cavalier by Clark Layton arrived a little bit ago and is a damn fine smoker. How he got the pipe to stand/balance with the Churchwarden stem is very impressive. Clark is a great carver, in my opinion, and once again he make a visually stunning pipe that smokes like a dream! A pipe cleaner goes from bit to bowl with no worries, even with the Churchwarden stem. I had him make a Churchwarden stem along with the regular stem as I love to read and smoke a pipe. The Churchwarden stems makes reading and smoking a pipe much easier. I also really like the simple stand I asked him to make. Overall Clark knocked it out of the park with this pipe. It is a fully functional Cavalier and smokes with nary any moisture at all and what little is produced by smoking is efficiently collected in the lower portion of the pipe. I sit in my smoking room and just stare at its beauty and the blast is superb!! If you ever wanted a Cavalier have Clark carve one for you, I guarantee you will love it!
I took some pictures of the pipe, but the ones Clark sent me are much better.
dsc07017-449x600.jpg

dsc07028-450x600.jpg

dsc07027-450x600.jpg

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Hi fez, I was editing my post when you wrote this. I did get the pictures posted.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Hi fez, I don't usual name the price but as I feel the price was excellent this pipe cost $400.00. I feel like I stole it, Clark is great to work with, a hell of a carver and very fair with price. No, I am not affilated with Clark I just really love his pipes. This is my third pipe from him and it will not be the last!!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
That is a deal/steal. A whole lot of work went into that rig. I am supposedly in line with him for a comission.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
That is a deal/steal. A whole lot of work went into that rig. I am supposedly in line with him for a comission.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Sorry guys I forgot to include a picture with the Churchwarden stem on the pipe. I am still amazed he got it to balence with the Churchwarden stem!
dsc07025-449x600.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Clark won one of the seven spots in last year's Kansas City carving contest set with that design. It is drop-dead gorgeous in both design and execution.
I'm not saying that based on photos, either... I was one of the contest judges and so eyeballed it "up close and personal."
Clark is the Real Deal, folks. Get his stuff while you can.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Thank you all for your kind words! As George said Clark is the real deal. He gets busier every year. I am trying to get as many Layton pipes as I can while I can still afford his work! I commissioned the first Serpentade 2.0 that he ever sold because I fell in love with that shape. Then he takes that shape and morphs it into the Serpentade Cavalier and I had been wanting a Cavalier pipe and even asked him if he made one after he made my Serpentade 2.0. At the time he did not make a Caviler but it was worth the wait!! I knew he won one of the seven spots at the Kansas City carving contest with this pipe and as George said the mechanics of the pipe are spot on and it is beautiful. Below is a picture of the Serpentade 2.0 and the XXL Bent Billiard I commissioned from Clark. Every pipe I have from Clark is a wonderful smoker, excellent engineering, and stunning to look at and hold!!!
Clark's Website.
dsc04338-419x600.jpg

img_20150102_1518466211-600x337.jpg

As a size comparison the top pipe is my Ferndown 1*, the bottom is of course the XXL Bent Billiard.
001-600x337.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.