PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

welsh1

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
Hi been smoking less than a week and been using Alsbo Cherry Pipe Tobacco it's nice but a bit hot is that me or usual... I was tthinking of buying clan aromatic it's available at my supermarket in UK..

Any one tried it?
Or any recommendations on a cool smoke that's available in the UK

Thanks

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I've smoked Alsbo Black without any problems, but then again I'm a slow sipper.
Although many claim that aromatics burn hot, I believe it's best to make sure it isn't too moist before puting it in your pipe. I'm currently enjoying Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake and it burns very cool, however Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe is about the coolest burning blend I've ever tried.

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
Clan is a typical OTC UK aro, hot and not too sweet, with casings masking poor quality tobacco. Not a great deal of love for it amongst most of the pipe smokers i know, but it has been a supermarket blend for a long while, and i'm sure still has a loyal following.

If you're in the UK my advice is gqtobaccos.com . Great selection, good prices and quick delivery. Run by a passionate pipe smoker and full of good advice. They do 10g samplers too if you want to try new blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was gifted with a pouch of Clan purchased in Rotterdam (The Netherlands) and while it hasn't become a part of my rotation, I find it a mild, pleasing and reasonable smoke. I'd heard all of the negative comments about it, so I expected the worst and was somewhat surprised. Along with most Forums members, I am spoiled by all of the lovely blends available, and I smoke mostly non-aromatic English, Balkan, Va/Per, and other blends, or straight Virginia or burley leaf. But some of the good old over-the-counter (OTC) blends can be a nice change of pace, and are really quite good if you're in the mood for some nostalgia. I'm not urging everyone to buy a pouch, but I wouldn't avoid it.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Where abouts in the UK are you based? I'm a fellow UK'er and could probably send you some samples of different tobaccos.

As for Clan - I've not tried it, I usually stick to the tinned stuff I'm afraid. I order my tobacco online - smoke-king.co.uk and have always had great service.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Clan is altogether awful.
You should be able to find Condor and St Bruno just as easily, they are far superior tobaccos.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
+1 oldreddog - UK Clan is appalling IMHO. Welsh do you have to buy instore or can you buy online? If the first, then it probably is full price for Condor or St Bruno. If not, the world's your lobster (to quote Del-Boy)! PM sent.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.