PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Well, it's not an original, but it's one that I decided to make over the weekend to use in my Civil War reenacting hobby this year. The cob, which is unusually large for our heirloom Indian corn variety that we use for our Old Dominion line of cob pipes, started as a "blank" for our Virginia Planter model, but after it was bored, the interior walls of the chamber were extremely rough and so it was deemed "unfit" and was set to be discarded. It was so large though that I decided to set it aside. This weekend I decided to make it into a cob pipe to use at my Civil War reenactments. I started by re-boring the chamber out to a 3/4" dia. I did some minor shaping/sanding of the cob but tried to keep it fairly rough in order to give it more of a "homemade" look. Can't wait to put it to use at my next Civil War event.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
I really like the cobs with the bamboo stem and this one fits right in with the Civil War reenacting. What a great pipe and enjoy your Civil War events.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Very cool - as an aside, what do you smoke during your re-enactments? Do you try to keep your tobacco selections accurate for the period, or do you smoke whatever you like?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For tobacco authenticity, some good Virginia leaf would probably get close. That's a nice

big bowl for a cob. Cobs seem especially good at burning the bowl down to ash without

bite. One of their many virtues.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Typically I try and stick with a Virginia leaf tobacco. I'm actually trying to research to see if there are any blends currently on the market that can be traced back to the 1860s. Of late, I picked up a tin of Peterson's "Sherlock Holmes" which it supposed to be based on a 19th century blend (I would expect that it is more than likely a late 19th century blend). If any of you folks come across a blend that can be traced back to the 1860s or earlier, please let me know as I'd definitely like to pick some up and try it.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well, I just got some Grousemoor and find I'm enjoying it more than I expected, and while it is an old enough blend, somehow I don't think the soldiers in the Civil War time would have access to it, or would even like it! Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just a thought. Like your style though, and the integrity of what you're doing.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I believe tobacco twists were common in the 1800's? I have seen them for sale on reenactment web sites so they must be relatively authentic? Probably have a nic kick that would knock down a mule though?

Status
Not open for further replies.