PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I can never get enough Skyline, Cincinnati style chili. Had some for dinner last night and I'm about to reheat some for lunch this afternoon. There's nothing like having a bowl in the resturant though. That's a major reason I go back to Cincy once a year.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
:rofl: @ Cortez
If I ever find myself in Cincy I will definitely try their chili and ribs. Thanks for the recommendations lord and pa!
...this thread and post just made me hungry :)

sirgeorge

Lurker
Apr 20, 2011
Me too! Maybe someone should make a rib'n'chili tobacco for these moments...Call it Memories of Cincinnati lol

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
When I lived in Ohio the food was good I have to say. On the other hand my former in-laws live there , so I can live without the food.!

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I was not that impressed by the chillie I heard allot about but bit was not for me

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
There's a lot more here in town than just ribs and chili. Be sure to try Goetta for breakfast, creamy whip or Greater's ice cream for an afternoon snack, and some of the best pizza around for supper. Any surprise I tip the scales at 310 pounds?

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I have tried it and it is so different than what we call chili in Texas. It was enjoyable but I could not get over the cinnamin added to it. Also, not hot enough for my tastes. If it don't make you sweat, it ain't chili!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's definitely different than Texas style chili. The chili itself is more of a sauce than the chunks of ground beef that's typically used in Texas style. Also it's flavored with chocolate and I believe cinnamon. It's known, at least by natives, as a Greek style chili. People are probably surprised to findout it's served on top of spaghetti. A typical three-way is spaghetti, chilli, and cheese. The ribs at Montgomery Inn are amazing as has been noted. And the pizza at La Rosa's is phenomenal. That and a burger or pumpkin pie (pumpkin pie is usually just served around Thanksgiving if I remember right) from Frisch's are amazing as well. I always try and hit all of them when I head back to Cincy. Skyline, La Rosa's, Montgomery Inn, and Frisch's. I tend to hit White Castle too for a crave case, but those are a little more common than the others. Graeter's ice cream is definitely worth checking out. Recently at a Smith's grocery store here in Las Vegas I found Graeter's in the ice cream section. Smith's is owned by Kroger's which is Cincy based, my guess is that's why they shelved it to try out. All I need is for Smith's to carry the Cincinnati Style Chili packets and Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce and I'm set for Cincy foods here in Vegas.

simpledesign

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2011
Living 3 hours from St Louis, my friends used to always tell me how great White Castle and Krispy Kreme are. Then I had both.....and realized my friends have really low standards.

mowens

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2011
If you find yourself in Cincy then do yourself a huge favor and walk across the bridge to this place. Some of the best food and beer I have ever had. You would be a fool not to go.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You're not the only one jasongone who prefers Gold Star. My dad prefers Gold Star over Skyline as well. Las Vegas actually has a Hofbrauhaus. Came to town in '04. Haven't been to the one here or in Cincy yet, but I plan to eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.