PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was complaining to a friend, who also smokes a pipe, about the complexities of burning a bowl in my area. It is warm, humid and one cannot smoke inside by law or complaint, which leads to standing around in some out-of-the-way place trying to pack a quarter bowl because of a lack of time and air conditioning to make a full bowl palatable.
"I get that here," he said, "but for the opposite reason: most of the year, it's very cold out. The wind whips the fire out of your pipe, and you want to go in after five minutes, maybe ten at the most. So I got these little cigarillos and I smoke those. You're done in, like, ten minutes."
Having always associated cigarillos with unsavory characters lingering in alleys (not that there's anything wrong with lingering in alleys) I had never considered these. But I bravely took the plunge and acquired a ten-unit tin of Macanudo Robusto Maduro "ascots," which apparently is a fancy name for "small cigar."
The little blighters are the length of a business card, and about as thick around as the gas line on a 2005 Tercel. That is, not very thick, but in proportion to what you might expect from a cigar, not the long skinny shape of cigarettes (the supermodels of the tobacco world). They come individually wrapped and some poor soul had to actually slide little paper bands on each one so the branding was intact.
Classy indeed. Did I mention the tin is quite attractive, and I plan on using it as a pencil case? Sometimes I worry that smoking is for men what potpourri, collectibles and spa days are for women. Any time I see fancy tobaccos named Eileen's Dream or Apricots & Cream I think I'm about to have a one-hour appointment with someone named Sondara who cuts my hair, listens to my life's problems, pats me on the back when I cry and then brings me a cup of artisanal herb tea with a sprig of dill in it.
On to the ascots. I can't get over how cute these things are, like baby cigars as puppies are baby dogs. Unwrapping the plastic wrapper yields a pint-size smoke which must be cut like a "real" cigar before it can be smoked. The smoking experience lasts about 20 minutes at my pace. These are full-flavor and full-powered cigars, just in smaller dose, with what looks like less full leaf and more trimmings used to stuff them. I hope to be able to dissect one someday and find out. The smoke is rich, and after a short bitterness, quickly becomes a buttery and creamy smoke with undertones of dark oils and a meaty surliness that appeals to the Jack London in all of us. As the ascot burns to a nub, vitamin N kicks up a degree and the greater density of both oils and sugars broadens the flavor. The first third of the mini-cigar tastes more like a strong cigarette, and the rest more like a pipe than a regular cigar.
As a smoking option, the ascot cannot be defeated by simple arguments. It is flavorful, yes, and has some strength of nicotine. There is less kit and gear than with pipes. It is faster than either a cigar or a full pipe bowl, and the bedraggled end can be cast down the nearest sewer grate when finished. But, you still need a tiny cigar-cutter or pocketknife and table on which to cut the end, and it still takes longer than a cigarette, so I can see why there are few cigarillo enthusiasts waxing lengthy about the superiority of this form. It is good for what it is, but what it is does not deliver enough of the advantages implicitly promised by its form.
One more caution I must offer is that our local liquor shack, Spec's, keeps these outside of its humidor. As a result, they are kind of dry, which leads to cracking of the wrapper and some loss of internal pressure. I am not sure why mini-cigars do not get the same treatment that full-size ones do, but it may have to do with their audience. The shorter the smoke, the less one is presumed to care about qualitative issues, I suppose. I can recommend these as cigarillos, as the Macanudo Robusto Maduro (or is it Maduro Robusto?) is the best of breed. But whether I can recommend cigarillos or not is another issue, and one not easily decided by the circumstances under which I enjoyed these.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not quite the same, but in college my occasional (and only) smoke were Hav'A'Tampa cigars with the little wood mouth pieces. They were tasty, cheap, and in those days you could smoke them in the student union. Sorry if anyone born more recently just passed out. Yes, in the student union, in a comfortable chair, at a little study table with a lamp and ashtray. In a different universe many lightyears ago.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Parodi makes excellent cigarillos, although the slow burn rate might make it a longer smoke than you would like. In which case you could just cut it in half getting two cigars.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I confess to having an occasional taste for Middleton's "Pipe Tobacco Cigars", the Gold & Mild and Black & Mild variety.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you want a small cigar the same size as the macanudo ascot but blows it away in every detail, try a la gloria cubana petite, both the maduro's and the naturals are amazing and cheaper than macanudo's.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you're interested though they have them on clearance right now, macanudo maduro ascots for 8.97 a pack here http://cigarplace.biz/cigars/clearance-89/clearance-macanudo-maduro-ascot-tin-10.html?utm_source=Cigar+Place+Newsletter+List&utm_campaign=27027bc332-Clearance_Center_9_23_15_9am_3b1hr&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_efb7fdc687-27027bc332-196000869&mc_cid=27027bc332&mc_eid=a27da2644a

Enter code clearance in the checkout box
I've just had too many with major burn issues, plugged etc I haven't even bit on them at this price.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Thank you, Andy, that's a good tip. I don't know what my future is with cigarillos. I try to be open-minded though, especially with anything high-nicotine...

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
There are quite a few really great small cigars out there. Pardon Corticos and Fuente Exquisitos are two of my favorites. The absolute best is the Davidoff Entreacto. It's like a mini robusto size smoke with big cigar flavor. Unfortunately it is a Davidoff and crazy expensive. Makes a nice treat though!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
There's a few cigarillos out there that I enjoy frequently and my wife enjoys them as well. Ours however are a little longer than a business card and about as big around as a vacuum line on a 1978 Ford F150 pickup. :puffy:

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
I'm with aldecaker. :? I also confess to resorting to an occasional "pipe tobacco cigar" such as Middleton's Black & Mild (Original or Royale), Prince Albert, and Borkum Riff tipped mini-cigars. I prefer the tips because I have a little aversion to the goopy end of a cigar. A higher-quality version is a German brand called Hammelsgold. Slightly wider gauge but same proportion as the US equivalents - higher-grade wrapper and filler, though. I've only managed to buy them in Europe (and even then, they're pretty hard to find).
As a pipe guy, I appreciate a short-duration mini-cigar if I'm in the mood and don't have the time to smoke a full bowl. Still a different experience than relaxing with a briar.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've been smoking Kentucky Cheroots for years ... love the Dark Fired!
If you cut them in half, the draw is perfect and lasts about 15-20 minutes.
Kentucky_Cheroots_OpenBox.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I've tried quite a few different cigarillos/cheroots over the years, and I still like these Bandidos the best...especially for the price.
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigars/12423/bandidos/

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've been eyeing those Bandidos for a while but never pulled the trigger.
If I order the bundle and don't care for them at least I know of a good home now! :)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've been more than tempted to order those ascots, 8.97 for a ten pack is an insanely cheap price as most places they're around 18$ a pack. Another really good short smoke, around 10 minutes max is CAO Brazillia mini's, they come in 20 packs, they have alot of flavor in them and are around the 10$ price point. I just have alot of cigars at the moment, I kind of traded TAD in for CAD, another form of CAD after my pipe tobacco cellar was a pretty good size. I have to confess I enjoy cigars more than pipes, I just don't have time for cigars like I do for pipes. I have maybe 1-2 cigars a month, but I smoke my pipe twice a day. I just really relax with a cigar, it's almost like a meditation where the world stops.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@cobguy: lol ... I'll be surprised if you don't like them. I've tried those Kentucky cheroots as well...they're really good too, but I do prefer the Bandidos. But that's just my particular taste.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
For Cigarillos I go for The Drew estate MUWAT Kentucky fire cured. About the size of a Black and mild.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I just added a tin of Panter cigarillos to this month's tobacco order. This thread piqued my curiosity.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Brian & Dustmite ... ok, I'm sold!
Just got a 20% off coupon from P&C so I'll toss them in the cart. :DD

Status
Not open for further replies.