PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"Traditionally, they are not smoked as a whole, but cut in the middle. They are considered dry cigars or cheroots which means they do not have to be stored in a humidor. It is very much different from the Caribbean cigars which will dry up and crack if not stored in a humidor. The Kentucky tobacco is not hygroscopic after undergoing special fermentation and can be stored for years at room temperature without losing its quality. Ideally, the Toscano cigar should have an internal humidity between 12% and 14%, and a storage humidity of between 65% and 70%."
Found this on Wikipedia, for what it's worth.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I smoke a fair amount of Parodi Kings and Kentucky Cheroots, which are the same style of dry-cured cigar. They're really good, they're just a whole 'nother type of cigar than most of us are used to.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Paul No, you do not. I have been smoking Toscanos, well Garibaldis because I can't stand the toscanos as much lately, for well over 10 years and I have been told several times by tobacconists that they do not need a specific humidity. When I was in Modena I remembered to ask the tobacconist this exactly, as I had the same dilemma as you have.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Short answer no, you don't have to. Long answer, it is really up to you. The manufacturer clearly states that they are not required to be kept in a humidor. As it has already been mentioned, Toscanos are dry-cured cigars. After opening a pack of it, I kept it open for few weeks and there was no taste loss. My local cigar lounge keeps some in humidor and some outside. You may buy whichever you want, but according to the cigar lounge workers (that's what they have been told by the manufacturer) you don't need to put them into a humidor.
If I find enough time then I smoke a single stick, it takes more than an hour to finish it. But you have to keep in mind that you will be facing a tight draw problem. I usually cut them in the middle with a cigar scissor cutter and enjoy one for 20-30 minutes (they burn slow).
I also tried De Nobili cigars, however they had some kind of sweet topping on the wrappers that I didn't like.
LyCLau5.jpg

Xz9RNbl.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thank you for the tips, I like smoking(after dinner)these Toscano type of cigars cut in half, These and Nicaraguan are mostly what I smoke as cigars, just yesterday buddy of mine presented me a five-stick pack of Italico Classicos, these come in blue color carton wrapper never seen before,

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Regarding Toscanos and other Italian-style cigars (like Nostrano del Brenta & Ambasciator Italico), what are folks' thoughts on cutting them? My inclination is to smoke them amezzatto/in halves at all times as I have tried smoking them intero/whole before, but it lasted forever and had a tight draw. Lasting a long time isn't a problem for me with other cigars, but I missed the flavour I got from smoking them amezzato for most of the cigar. I have also tried il taglio aureo/the golden cut where you cut them nearly into two pieces of one third & two thirds, so you have a mini and a slightly longer cigar, but again the mini was a bit too small for me to smoke well. I watched some Douglas Mortimer videos on Youtube & although I can't speak Italian, he seemed to be recommending cutting a piece off both ends if you're going to smoke them whole/intero to free up the draw. Is this common practise in Italy? Many thanks
With regard to storing in a humidor, I cut a Toscano in two and kept the halves in a little leather two-finger cigar case for half Toscanos I bought on ebay for months and months, like maybe 6 months or so on a shelf outside a humidor. I smoked them the other day and there was no discernible loss in flavour or aroma, they were totally fine. I've stored them in a tupperdor and outside and I never noticed a difference. This was over autumn/winter in a Scottish climate, though I don't live in a particularly wet or damp part of Scotland (south-central Highlands).

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I was used to cutting them in half, but I smoke them as a whole cigar right now. The draw is a little bit tight, but not that much.

Javan sent me some, and I really enjoyed them, but I like dark fired cigars. I found that when I smoked them right away the draw was great, but after a month in the humidor the draw was VERY tight, which would tell me that swelling of the tobacco choked the draw. So, I highly recommend NOT putting them in your humidor.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
I keep them out of the humidor in their cellophane wrapping. When I am going to use them, I like to unwrap them and store a few hours in the humidor. I find I can cut them better (not damaging the wrapper) and that they have a better taste. I live in a very dry climate; it can be a factor. Just try to experiment what adjusts better to your tastes and environment.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Great info. I put them in my Tupperdor but guess I didn’t need to. On a whim I grabbed a couple of packs of Toscanos in my last order from Esterval’s this week. Way cheaper than SP.
I’m pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable these are. As was said above, they’re their own thing.
I’ve been smoking them whole and the draw is fine. I’ll have to try them cut in half.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Wow, I didn't realize that. Doesn't sound like something is want to smoke.
I love them! Great smoke, leave out and they will be fine for a very long time...

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Good smokes. Especially for those that enjoy dark-fired Kentucky type tobaccos, though it is certainly a different experience than smoking a DFK based pipe blend. As for cutting or smoking whole, it is solely a time preference for me. Most are about the size of a Panetela-size, around 6 inches long, with a ring gauge between 28-36. They take me a bit over an hour to smoke a whole one. They do not seem to unravel the way a regular cigar will if cut away from the cap.
If you do put them in a humidor, I would seal them somehow or store separately so the Kentucky tobacco and sweeteners many of these have don't influence your standard Cuban, Nicaraguan, Dominican, etc.cigars.

Status
Not open for further replies.