PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I have 3 churchwardens in my collection and I enjoy smoking them .

That being said ...the smoking of Churchwardens are restrictive as when and where they can be smoked , I have broke 2 in years past by moving about with them and getting them into battles with doors and doorways. ( 2, yep a slow learner it seems)

It seems the Churchwarden has not shown to be a prolific topic in the discussions aspect of this forum!

Am I in the minority in being fond of them? Surely NOT.

any comments?

hoo

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have three Vauen Auenland churchwardens, and one AKB meerschaum claw, and love all of them. Usually smoke them in a reclined position and let the bowl rest on my chest while reading.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Got all my Vauens out of Germany on ebay. Paid less than $150 for them. Alot of websites are asking $300 and up. 8O

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You are right,care is needed. I only have one, and smoke it only twice a year. So, I have to be sure careful, particularly when reading the newspaper. This 1940's Kaywoodie Supergrain only gets smoked on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Eve.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I love mine.

I have 2 Vauen Auenland The Shire. Even made a stand for them.

I have another that I made myself. So three.

I wove them so much, they are really the "chilling smoking" by excellence.

I usually smoke Middle Earth Series Tobaccos in the Auenland. (yeah well ...)

and aro in general in the other.
That makes me think I need a new one for the other tobaccos :puffpipe:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@hooboy: my trouble is the same as yours; probably explains my fondness for nosewarmers and stubby bulldogs!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have 3 full churchwardens and 2 semi churchwardens. I only smoke them while watching TV or sitting out on the patio by the pool. Their good cool smokers but I tend to agree with you that they are restrictive.

52E356AE-CB0A-4D9C-85A9-19EE2A9DA80D_zpsbjxijwmz.jpg

This is my favorite warden. It is a Northern Briars warden that my wife gave me for Christmas a few years ago, and I still love it as a movie night pipe. I can get 3+ hours out of it, and it loves about four or five flakes rolled lengthwise and shoved.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have 4 churchwardens - 1 Savinelli Briar and 3 are Meerschaums. The two smaller ones (the briar and a Servi meer) are in my regular rotation and gets smoked once a week. The other two get smoked less often probably once a month. I have never broken one but that's usually because I don't go walking around with them clinched between my teeth. To me a churchwarden is more of a sit and relax smoking kind of pipe.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Just sold my Sav Broomhilda. It gurgled a lot and seemed to be a quick smoke. Maybe one day I'll find another warden. I do love the shape.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've got a few, a vintage that I haven't smoked. My only incidents are with the door while letting the cat & dog in or out. ssjones, that Kaywoodie is a real beaut !
Linkman Dr Grabow
win_20151101_100620-600x337.jpg

Longfellow Niagara Falls
win_20150528_161121-600x337.jpg

Mr Brog, I've got a couple of these
win_20150517_141135-600x337.jpg

CP Germany
cp-600x337.jpg

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
There are 5, three Vauens and 2 Savs in my pipe collection. To date they all remain intact. I like smoking them, although I find smoking them to be a pipe in hand venture, and as I usually clench, while reading or working, I do not smoke them often. In the spring when the songbirds are nesting and at high activity I sometimes observe their antics while smoking a churchwarden and just enjoying the weather. For me they are definitely a specialty pipe. If I could smoke indoors (TV or movies) I would smoke one more frequently.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I love that picture Cosmic. It gave me a warm feeling. That's a beautiful stem on that Northern. I like your stone jars too. Do you keep tobacco in those?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the avatar to the left you see my Sav 601 no-filter churchwarden, and I also have a recently acquired Big Ben straight smooth churchwarden, and an EWA small churchwarden Group 2. It's true they work best smoking while seated, but a little moving about can work; just keep your hand on the bowl and or remove the bit from your mouth. The standard pipe, at about 5.75 inches in length is most versatile, but a churchwarden is a good variation and I highly recommend them.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@cosmic - that Northern Briars is magnificent!
@davet - a Grabow CW is a sight not often seen, outstanding. (samcoffeeman grabbed one at the last NYC show)

Status
Not open for further replies.