PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I thought this story was great. Don't know if it's made its way onto the forum before.
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2011/9/21/dads-gift.html

Aug 1, 2012
That was an awesome story. It's even better to me because It's in my state and the father described is not totally unlike my own. The major difference is that my dad never smoked a pipe.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I wish mine and my dad's relationship had been like that, but no dice. The sad part is we both smoke a pipe. I don't think he even knows that I do.
I love that the pipe in the story was a Meer!

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
What a touching story..I've always wished that I had one of my grandfathers pipes.I lived in a different state when he died None of my relatives would admit to having his pipes.I don't know what happened to them.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
That is a touching story all right. None of my children every gave me a pipe, and so far as I know, never considered it. But I gave a pipe to one of my daughter's husband, and she remarked shortly afterward that when she smells the smoke, she looks around for a second thinking I am there. That was worth more to me that a hundred pipes ever could be. Thanks for posting this article.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
That is a nice story. Many years ago my mom, my sister and I bought my dad a pipe for Christmas also. I have that pipe. Memories of my dad smoking that pipe as well as others is the reason why I collect pipes.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
That was awesome. The only other piper in my family was Tide, my maternal grandfather. He was mean and would yell a lot. Now we realize he had major PTSD from getting gassed in the trenches of WW1; he was never the same after the war, and always worked minimum wage type jobs, and would keep getting fired for hitting his boss.
I'm sure his pipe was a cheap one, and the baccy as well. His index finger was black from tamping it. He would smoke and stare into the fire, and I realize now he was reliving the war. My mom grew up during WW2, and because they were so poor and because of the rationing, Tide's annual Christmas present was one cigar, and the kids got their one annual piece of fruit.
I deeply regret not realizing why he was mean, and not buying him a nice pipe before he died.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been following Neill's blog, but never read that. What a wonderful story, I love his writing - thanks for posting this! I sent it to a couple of non-pipe friends as well.

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
my dads pipe colection was one of the only things i got from him, besides his winning personality. its small; one merr, one cob, and a dr grabow he stole from me. he preferd the cob but my go to is his merr.

Status
Not open for further replies.