PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2016
Hi all,
I just wanted to check in and see who has a Christmas pipe. Being new to the hobby I am still getting my feet wet and recently discovered Christmas pipes during an estate hunt online. It wasn't something that I was looking for but rather stumbled onto during an estate hunt for a Peterson pipe. It's a Peterson of Dublin Christmas 2010 106 Billiard. IMHO it's a gorgeous pipe. It has a ruby red finish with a silver and green inlay band. I tried to talk myself out of it but just could not resist the urge to pull the trigger. I'll tell you that I paid a whole $75 for it, shipping and tax included. While I enjoy a straight billiard pipe I do primarily prefer a bent calabash or dublin shape. That lead me to searching the net for the same pipe in one of those shapes which I could not find anywhere. The result was that I figured it'd be a long time before I found Christmas 2010 pipe available again and decided not to pass up on the opportunity. I have no doubt that it will be a great smoker and something that I will cherish for years to come. The presentation of the pipe is very "classic and clean" in my opinion, and will be something that I'll be glad to frequent my local B&M with this upcoming holiday season.
What is/are your Christmas pipe/s?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have a 2012 Peterson Christmas 999 bent Rhodesian with nickel band. I mainly bought it because my daughter was born 12/21/2012, so it's Damn near the same age as her. The band comes loose sometimes, but other than that it's a great pipe.

Oct 3, 2016
The 2012 pipes are great looking pipes. I also stumbled across them and almost bought one also. That's so awesome that you have a pipe that was made the year your daughter was born. My son was born in 2009, I'll definitely buy a Peterson 2009 Christmas pipe if I ever see one for sale. Although, I'm sure I'll have to cough up more than $75 for that one.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I commissioned a Christmas style pipe from Bruce Weaver earlier this year, and am still waiting until Christmas to smoke it and it's killing me.
img_20160516_134611-600x337.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Duane, I remember when you posted that pipe before. You're a far more patient man than I. I'd have caved a long time ago 8O

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I get it out and look at it from time to time, but the wait is torture! Add to the fact that I have a boat load of its intended to tobacco, and then it's hell!
img_20160824_121228-337x600.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think Peterson might be the only one still making a Christmas pipe? I know Savinelli used to make them.

It's hard to find (and pricey), but Richard Carleton Hacker has a book out on Christmas Pipes.

Jun 4, 2014
I have a 2015 Peterson Christmas 408. I've been looking at this years Peterson Christmas Pipes, but have not pulled the trigger. Savinelli still makes Christmas pipe,they call it their St. Nicholas line. Smokingpipes.com has the 2016 line on their site.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"...Richard Carleton Hacker has a book out on Christmas Pipes."
The title of Mr. Hacker's book is "The Christmas Pipe - A Collector's Celebration of Pipe Smoking at Yuletide" - Autumngold Publishing of Beverley Hills, California, copyright 1986. The ISBN Number is 0-931253-01-2.
According to the fly-leaf mine is a First Edition and one of 2,500 autographed (initialed) copies.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Gonna get one this year, even if I gotta rob the piggy bank. Wish I had Hacker's book. Got a copy of all his other stuff. Great reading.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Savinelli now makes a "Saint Nicholas" pipe. I totally caved to PAD and ordered one in a 320 shape today. I saw P&C were out of them and searched the net til I found one at tobaccopipes.com. Good site.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I didn't understand the idea of a Christmas pipe at first. But I go to the Kaywoodie Holiday party, last year was my first. The price for admission includes a Kaywoodie pipe with a Christmas tree stamp and the year, and entry into the slow smoke competition. I'll be adding a second Christmas pipe this year as long as nothing goes awry. It is fun, and nice to have a special pipe on the holidays. The idea grew on me a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.