PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Ok, I just received my tin of McClelland Christmas Cheer. I've never smoked a broken flake like this before, so I need to ask, how do I prepare it? Just take a bit and rub it out between the palms of my hands or what? What is the best way to deal with this?

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I thought christmas cheer was a little moist from the tin, so i dry it a little and rub it out. you could pack the flake chunks and smoke it like a regular flake too.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Just take a bit and rub it out between the palms of my hands
That's what I do, but I don't try to make a fine ribbon out of it, it will still be a little chunky. You've probably read that it will take a few weeks with the plastic cover on the tin for the flavors to really open up.

Jan 8, 2013
I actually had not read that, troutface. I would have assumed I would need to jar it up instead of leaving it in the open tin, so that it would not dry out.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Put the plastic cover on it to keep it from drying out. Some moisture will escape but not enough to dry it out. I wouldn't use the tin for long term storage, but 3 to 4 weeks in the covered tin does wonders for McClelland flakes.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I cube cut mine, usually large amounts cause I know it will save time. I let the cubes dry out for about 4-5 hours, then load and tap, let gravity do the work. Rub out a couple of cubes for some kindling, and light her up. The rest I put in a ziplock bag and store back in the tin.
The best thing to do I've found previous to all of this is crack the seal a few weeks in advance to let it breathe a bit, as previously stated.
This is my first year trying CC, and I'm a huge fan. I cracked a 2002 about a week and a half ago, pulled a bit out to prep just to try, and was blown away, that tin will be cubed and prepped Christmas eve.
Enjoy

Warren

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I ordered mine back in September and was able to wait until December 1st before cracking mine open. I have sampled a few bowls worth out of impatience but am really waiting until Christmas. I am hoping the "breathing" period works but the taste is already delicious.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I will have to try the cube cut! But yes, it definitely needs time to breathe or sit out a little

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I really found that the thickness of the broken flakes made the cube cutting method almost come to life compared to regular tinned flakes like Dunhill, orlik, Petersons.....its a pleasant experience.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks everyone :) I'm also under the impression flakes do well in a narrow bored pipe?
This is weird... I'm finding myself in complete newbie zone again lol

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Narrow-ish chambers are generally best, but pots can be good with certain VAs. So can Dublins with tapered/conical chambers. Just avoid the extra-large bowls and your VAs should be fine.

bulldogbriar

Lurker
Dec 16, 2013
I Have two 2002 tins of cc and I tryrd it as is, rubbed out a little, and rubbed out fine. I enjoyed it the most when it was rubbed out a little.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've never decanted tobacco with air. I don't know why but I suspect it's because I've always thought it was a lot of hooey. But I'm eager to try new ideas lately or in this case ideas that remain new because I would not try them;). So is it the common wisdom that only McClelland VAs so benefit? What about other straight VAs; what about burley, Perique and latakia?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah McClelland's Va's I always pop the tin and let it sit a good 2 weeks before I even try it, or it's so wet that it doesn't make for a good smoke. Personally I just rub them out then let it sit for about 30 minutes.

Jan 8, 2013
Well I'm smoking my second bowl of this stuff now, and I think I'm going to have to get my hands on some more. The aroma is almost... well... almost aromatic at times. It is quite sweet, and the smoke is gorgeous. My first bowl I rubbed out fine, almost like a ribbon cut I suppose. This bowl I rubbed out a bit here and there and left some chunks as well. It seems to burn slowly which is good. So far I'm liking it. I may have to try more McClelland flakes. I have to say I chuckled at the tin note a little... I've heard quite a few here compare McClellands tin notes to ketchup. It truly does smell of ketchup... weird.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I've got to agree with all the posters who say that McClelland flakes should air out a bit. I also think that most other brands don't need that and it may, indeed, by detrimental. For instance, my experience is that flakes from Rattrays, GLP, C&D, Sam Gawith and GH just dry out and lose much of their character if left to "air out" for more than, say, a month. On the other hand, McClellands can stay in an opened tin for several months and do nothing but improve (provided you keep the plastic lid on, of course). McClellands supposedly doesn't use PG and the like on their flakes, but there are times I've wondered if there wasn't some kind of humectant involved (or perhaps the processing somehow locks moisture into their blends). This observation is even more pronounced in some of their non-flake blends, especially their English blends. Heck, I've accidentally left Frog Morton uncovered for over a year and it was only beginning to flirt with the idea of becoming too dry LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.