PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
SG has a talent for making some of the tastiest flakes, but they can also be the wettest, unevenly cut and most difficult to catch flame. This flake is wonderful in its flavoring, it is so subtle and delicious. Take some rich VA and mix it with just a bit of latakia, make to a cake, slice and add some rich chocolate topping. This flake does not produce enough smoke for my tastes, but it seems as though this is a defining characteristic of the blender. The tin aroma is wonderful, the aroma while smoldering is even more alluring. The latakia changes the flavor while melding with the chocolate to produce a warm, slightly spicy flavor that is second to none.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Great stuff ... a nice dessert smoke.
Here's what I do to maximize this blends potential:
After opening the tin, transfer to a jar and wait another month or three.
Next, remove just enough for your smoke and cube cut it.
Let this dry for half the day and then gravity pack and enjoy.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Sounds good...I'll have to give that a try. I usually just rub it out and loose pack. Sounds like a good way to get a lot of flavor.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Kimbiker,
Its not a very sweet blend...no aromatic here. The chocolate is a mild top note...lots of good tobacco flavor. I hope you like it also. :)

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Thats ok seadog, like va's, va/burs and such. Like a traditional 'pipe smoke'aroma.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That is a great blend. My favorite blend in that genre is Two Friends English Chocolate. Similar in character without the moisture and a daily smoke for me.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Have any you also tried Bob's Chocolate Flake? If so, how would you compare with the SG blend?
BTW, I don't know how to classify Bob. Technically, a Lakeland I think, but far from overbearing. And I guess all Lakelands are aromatics by definition.
No matter what you call it. I'm fond of it. This was another example of why it sometimes pays to work your way through a tin of a new blend, even if first impressions are weak. I was put-off with the first bowl. Now, Bob's is in my regular rotation.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
brass, I've had bot and they are virtually the same to me. Both are very pleasant. There is no doubt about the high quality of the tobacco used and that makes them special.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
I have tried both as well and found the CF superior to the BCF...the BCF seemed more candy sweet opposed to the subdued but more rich flavor of the "cocoa" on the CF. Both are fine tobaccos though.

Status
Not open for further replies.