PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Hello gents and ladies! Hope you are all doing well in 2017. :D

I got a new estate pipe. Do you think this chip/dent in the side and center of bottom of the bowl will cause a problem in the future?

Just wanted to make sure before smoking it...

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Depending on how much wood was chipped. If it is like a scratch than don't worry, but if it's more than a 1mm i would send it back. But all depends on the price you paid. If it was cheap i wouldn't worry, but if it was 50+ than i would look if you can return it. Looking at the foto it seems like it would not be a problem

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ignoring the chip for a moment, it looks to me like the draft hole in the side of the bowl is a tad too high, and very slightly off center as well.

If so, that in itself shouldn't be a problem, but it raises more concern than does the chip. The photo has the pipe somewhat tilted, but I think the chip was caused by the drill bit plunging too deeply into the bowl, thereby nicking a spot opposite the draft hole.
In all likelihood this pipe won't burn tobacco all the way to the very bottom of the bowl, in which case the chipped area won't see a glowing ember very often. So, as Brendan18 said, if this is not a top dollar pipe, just ignore these minor nits, and enjoy the pipe.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
In all likelihood this pipe won't burn tobacco all the way to the very bottom of the bowl, in which case the chipped area won't see a glowing ember very often. So, as Brendan18 said, if this is not a top dollar pipe, just ignore these minor nits, and enjoy the pipe.
I agree, most likely wont be a problem, looks like someone wan not careful reaming this pipe

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
This is nothing, smoke it as if there´s no tomorrow! If you are really concerned about it just cover it with a dab of pipe mud. Enjoy!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As Stvalentine says, just smoke the thing. It's purely an aesthetic issue that will not influence the smoke in any way at all. I've seen much worse than that and suffered no ill effects regarding the smoking of the pipe.
Regards,
Jay.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Thank you all for your inputs! I appreciate them.

jpmcwjr, heh it looks like this... Simplistic but beautiful pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Very nice pipe ...comfortable-looking. You know, there was something that struck me as odd: from the slight char on the rim,

and the darkened walls of the bowl, the pipe looks like it has been smoked (at least a little.) Yet, the draft hole looks clean -- like a virgin pipe. Given the nick in the bowl opposite the draft hole, could it be that this pipe's draft hole was enlarged? And not too carefully at that.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
I've received worse and I haven't noticed any fuss in terms of smoking performance. As long as that draft passes a pipe cleaner without any bothersome fuss I'd smoke that nice looking pipe without any regrets! Good deal there. :puffy:

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I disagree with the draft hole being too high. I see nothing there that indicates you'd be left with unsmoked tobacco. Although it is off center. That won't affect the smoke at all. I would argue slightly off center actually results in a better smoke. But anywho, it looks to me like whoever cleaned this last got their drill bit out and when a bit too far. You can tell it was done post smoking as the "chip" is a different color from the rest of the inner walls. As alluded to above.
This will be a fine smoker for you! If you are truly worried just make sure you develop a cake in the area and when you ream, do it lightly over that spot.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Madox, pipe mud is variably a mixture of cigar ash mixed with water or occasionally honey. Personally I don't see the need for cigar ash I'm pretty sure any tobacco ash would do the trick.
The two components are mixed together to a uniform consistency resembling putty and can be used for minor repairs inside pipe bowls. It of course needs to be allowed to 'set' which depending on ambient temperature can be a few days.
Never done it myself as I have my doubts about it lasting but some folks swear by it.
Regards,
Jay.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Wow. That's a lovely pipe. Enjoy it. try building a thin layer of cake on the bottom, if you want to protect the briar.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
mawnansmiff so this is basically something you make yourself, not buy as a tobacco shop product!? Thanks for the info, I hope I will never need the recipe, but it is certainly something worth knowing ...

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
...although I don´t use pipe mud but a self-mixed coating that consist of 50% charcoal, 50% pumice and waterglass. This works for precoating or fixing minor holes/scratches inside the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.