PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
So I was at a restaurant in Shanghai last night. They place was trying to be cute with its "Men's" and Woman's" restroom signs. The Woman's sign was a stiletto high heel. The Men's sign was a bent tobacco pipe with a wisp of smoke coming from it.
Had to share that with you guys.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I was at in North Carolina a couple years ago and stopped for dinner.

dscf0527-600x450.jpg

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
No pipe smokers seen. A coupe of the tobacco shops had pipes for sale, but no pipe tobacco! In fact, upon doing an internet search, I found only one shop, in the largest city in the world, that sold pipe tobacco.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
PipesMagazine, ahead of the curve as always, did an article on that a couple of years ago: The Pipe is a Symbol of Masculinity in China.

It was based on some correspondence from Rick Newcombe. It's interesting that you noted it in a restaurant, Bo. The signs Newcombe saw were at one of the ferry piers in Shanghai. Perhaps even more surprising to me, both Shanghai signs also had English words.

Chinese restroom signs

chinese-restroom-signs-150x103.jpg

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Well it's nice to see that pipe smoking is recognized as manly, but where's the tobacco!
Good thing you brout your own supply.
Apparently you had no problems with customs. Did they comment on the tobacco you were carrying?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since tobacco pipes aren't ingrained in Chinese culture, this may cause some confusion, but

likely the high heel sets it straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.