PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Guys,
what is your opinion on Chimney shaped pipes ? What are they best for smoking and why ? Is the Chimney considered a classic shape ? What is the difference in smoking between say a Chimney and a normal straight billiard ? Do you own any ?

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I guess a chimney and a stack are the same shape. I quite like the look of this shape actually, but other than being able to hold 1.5 to 2 times more tobacco than a billiard, I can't see how it smokes any different. I smoke FM in my stack pipe, for I enjoy smoking FM really slowly, and one bowl can usually last me 2 to 3 hours.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A chimney / stack is good for "concentrating" the flavor as you go. I prefer them for straight Va's or Va/Pers mostly.
Due to the more narrow, yet deep, bowl they don't seem that great for more complex English / Latakia blends.
My favorite chimney, btw, is the MM Diplomat 5th Avenue with straight stem.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Cobguy: Would you say it will be good for smoking straight burleys. It is a one-dimensional blend, so it sounds like concentrating the flavor could only make it better.(?)

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I'd agree that chimneys are for one dimension blends. Not to mention the large bowl for long smokes.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cobguy: Would you say it will be good for smoking straight burleys.
Not sure about straight Burley but I've smoked Va/Bur's like Strang and Newminster #403 with success in these.
Burley doesn't usually need "concentrating" as it is fairly strong in flavor to begin with.
Virginia's are oftentimes much more subtle and benefit more from this aspect.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Virginia! I have a stack Dublin that makes Virginia tobacco sing. Sip slowly for best results.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've found a tall comparatively narrow chamber just right for smoking some of the more esoteric burley leaf like the Belgium variant Tobac-Manil Semois. This is one leaf, so you don't need a broader chamber to get components to mix, but the tall bowl reinforces the flavor from the one tobacco and increases its complexity. Maybe this is a grandiose description, but I have a Ferndown bent billiard, a La Rocca poker, and a MM freehand cob with taller chambers that really bring up all the chords and harmonies in Semois. I think this also works with Va and Va/Per blends.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Ok, virginias. It seems to me that the Chimney, being a taller billiard really, is an old English classic shape. From what I have seen in old photographs and movies, English smoked mostly billiards, cutties and chimneys, and yet today the most popular pipe for smoking English blends is the wide and shallow pot. Did the pot even exist in the old times in England when those tobaccos were smoked ? I am really curious about this.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Cosmic : I'm sorry, I did not get the last sentence. It is a bit confusing. Are you saying English were, or that they weren't as particular about what they smoked and what they smoked it in, as we are today ?

They were as varied as we are. Heck, I'm sure someone smokes Englishes in chimneys, dublins, and whatever. There's no law to what is smoked in which pipe. Seeing as how we are a very small cross section of the whole pipe smoking community, with the majority smoking aromatics, I am sure that there are all sorts variations to what, why, and how what is smoked in which pipe.
Sorry, I sometimes type too fast and get confusing, ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.