PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
PappyMac writes:
He told me that "pure" chile was made from cubed beef and contained freshly ground chili pods, fresh spanish onions, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper and beef-suet or lard or bacon grease. It was slow cooked in a cast iron Dutch Oven over a campfire or in a fireplace until the meat fell apart when stirred. They served it over cornbread or cornmeal pancakes and it was thick enough to eat with a fork. He told me that if they had a big crowd to feed, they would cook some dry red beans and add the meat to it.
This sounds right to me. I might add some tomatoes and a little bit of apple cider vinegar however...

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's Skyline time! I would eat that chili because I'll eat just about anything, but nothing hits the spot for me like a 3-way and two cheese coneys.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
No tomatoes and no beans. Just chunks of beef chilies, spices, and onions.

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
I've seen forums fall to civil war over the question of beans in chili. I do prefer beans in mine, but I will give no quarter to those freaks who insist on putting cocoa powder or peanut butter in theirs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, I like Skyline too -- it's a major reason to go to, or stop in, Cincinnati, for sure, but deathmetal, that's my idea of classic chili, with the beans reserved for feeding a big group. Even the beans are anathema to some, but I just like to eat. At the moment, I'm doing a beef roast using some rubs specially prepared by a friend and sent all the way from Queens/Sunnyside NY. I don't like the pepper heat too hair raising, but enough to make my nose run. One of my late father-in-laws always said that was the mark of a good fish stew -- if it didn't make your nose run, you didn't have enough peppers.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If anyone has a good recipe for fish stew, that seems like something fun...
I am the same way with chili. Beans are OK, if black beans, but I prefer a meaty stew. It's basically Southwestern spiced beef stew, if you look at it from a technical angle.
Still delicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.