PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
When I was growing up we ate a lot of Chicory leaves in our salad greens. In fact most of our greens were Chicory & Nettles leaves wilted in bacon grease. As I got older I learned to appreciate Chicory root in my coffee. More recently for a while I ordered vacuum canned ground coffee with Chicory from Cafe Du Monde but always preferred to grind my own beans based on how I prepared the coffee (love iced Chicory coffee). Now I just buy imported French Chicory root already roasted and add it to my own coffee beans when I grind them.
I know Chicory leaves have been added to cigarette tobacco as a cheap filler but I am wondering if it is ever added as a spice additive to a premium pipe tobacco? I'm guessing it might taste similar to Perique. Anyone know? I couldn't turn anything up using TobaccoReviews.com or the forum search feature. That probably answers my own question but wanted to know if others have any experience with Chicory?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Interesting idea. You could ask Russ O at Pipes & Cigars about it or PM him here. His forum tag is blendtobac. Knowing Russ he'd probably run with it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like an easy experiment, if you have Chicory on hand, to mix it with some neutral blend,

nothing too complex, and see if it imparts any special flavor notes. I'd pick Lanes Burley Without

Bite, if you like burley, or McClellends 5100 Virginia Red Cake, or another less cased/flavored leaf.

Probably use it like Perique, lightly, to see how it flavors the tobacco. My guess would be you won't

get much from it flavor-wise, but what an innovation if I'm wrong. I'd want to be careful about random

leaves and roots, but since you say this has been used as a filler in cigarettes, I assume it has been tried

for any toxicity. You just don't want to be trying with any old plant.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Chicory is nontoxic. You soak the leaves first when eating them in salad greens. Then we always mixed it with Nettles in the soak. By wilting the salad you add the flavor of bacon grease or vinegar and it softens the needles or stickers on the Nettles.
All I have now is roasted Chicory root that I add to my ground coffee beans by using a cheese grater to grate the root. The ground root imparts flavor with the coffee to the water but stays in the grounds and is not ingested. The problem in experimenting with the Chicory leaves in pipe tobacco is that I would have no way to cure it on out. I'll have to check to see if leaves can be sourced from the Internet in a cured form, ready to be added to tobacco & smoked. I have a tin or two of very mild tobaccos to my taste that I could experiment with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Coffee and salads are one thing, but burning Chicory is another, in terms of what flavor it might have. Please, when

you try it, give us a review/report. I think it is an interesting effort, though I'm not ready for a Chicory blend yet myself.

Chicory Charm. HIckory Dickory Chicory. Chicory Dock. I'm thinking up names for the blend. It might go really well

with one tobacco but not with others. It might not have enough taste when burnt. Hmmm.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Cosmic, we used to pick our's along with Nettles along the highway right of way also. I guess I was thinking along the lines of curing it in a BBQ smoker, low & slow or something. Didn't think much about just letting it dry. Have you tried any blended in your tobacco? The roasted root I buy makes very good coffee when added to coffee made in a vac pot but it kills the crema of espresso.
I hadn't given any thought to how it might taste or smell when burning.

No, I have not smoked or burned any. We just add it to greens like you mentioned, along with nettles and dandelions. Drying it just keeps it around all year. But, I'm also not the biggest fan of chicory coffee. It just doesn't taste as good to me, the further you get from the French Quarter, ha ha.

Try drying some out and burning it. It's worth a shot, especially if it's a flavor you love. Who knows, you may be on to the next biggest thing in pipe tobaccos.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
If I get my hands on some, I'll play around with it. Who knows? You might have found the next big thing.
Russ

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Hi Russ,
As mso489 has pointed out I have not smelled or tasted burning chicory leaves so it might impart an aroma & flavor unlike what it does otherwise. Whatever aroma & flavor it does impart it might not be very desirable or popular, as noted by the fact that as far as I know it has only been used as filler with the tobacco in cheap cigarettes. Maybe that's what makes cheap cigarettes smell really bad?
I understand that the prison systems of several states are using chicory again to cut the cost of what they spend on coffee. I'll continue to enjoy it in my coffee but will probably forget the experiment of blending some in with pipe tobacco.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yep, once Russ gets the scent he's on the case. The following is from WebMD:
Chicory is a plant. Its roots and dried, above-ground parts are used to make medicine.
Chicory is used for loss of appetite, upset stomach, constipation, liver and gallbladder disorders, cancer, and rapid heartbeat.
It is also used as a “tonic,” to increase urine production, to protect the liver, and to balance the stimulant effect of coffee.
Some people apply a paste of chicory leaves directly to the skin for swelling and inflammation.
In foods, chicory leaves are often eaten like celery, and the roots and leaf buds are boiled and eaten. Chicory is also used as a cooking spice and to flavor foods and beverages. Coffee mixes often include ground chicory to enhance the richness of the coffee.
How does it work?
Chicory root has a mild laxative effect, increases bile from the gallbladder, and decreases swelling. Chicory is a rich source of beta-carotene.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Oh well, I'm not much of a marketing genius anyway!
If chicory can be used as a laxative to relieve constipation and reduce the stimulant effect of coffee, I can see why they would want to serve it to inmates in prison.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Cosmic, you got me on that one! Probably more than I needed to know!
My grandma might have used chicory in a poultice. One fall when I was about 10 or 11 yrs old I was helping my grandpa clean out a fence row. I was down on my hands & knees when I reached in to pull out some leaves & brush and I ran a thorn from a Hawthorne tree up into the back of my hand. It entered between the knuckles of my index & middle fingers and broke off up in there. Hawthorne trees are not poisonous but the thorns carry enough bacteria that you'll think their poisonous! Within a couple of hours my hand was swelling up and it throbbed every time my heart beat! It hurt so bad all I could do was sit still and rest my hand on a pillow. By then it was too late in the day to go into town and look for a doctor and we didn't have much money anyway, but that was the plan for the next day.
Sometime that night my hand & wrist was so infected & swollen I thought the skin was going to split open. My grandma got up and gathered up what she needed for a poultice. She made kind of a paste and also added some of the poultice to a dishpan full of water. My hand would soak in the water and the paste would stay on the puncture wound for a while but would have to be replaced as it dissolved. After some time the swelling began to go down but it took almost 2 days before it was down enough that the end of the thorn could be seen and pulled out with tweezers. One of the most painful things I have ever had in my life!

Status
Not open for further replies.