PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. That time of year, Chicken Chaseing, King Kakes, Parades, Balls, MARDI GRAIS is here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's a saying in the South about knowing how to have a good time, and Mardi Grais is its masterpiece. Festival is an art and requires a lifetime of practice, and Louisiana does that.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I work 14 days at a time in Louisiana. Yes, much fun to be had this time of year.
I loathe the big New Orleans Mardi Gras unless you enjoy tourists pissing and puking all over your shoes...
The smaller towns have great festivals and much better Mardi Gras celebrations.
Ah, and King Cake!

bradical

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2018
Never seen or heard of this. My friend has a chicken and a big back yard though, so I'm going to suggest we start a new tradition this year.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As with many events, sometimes the best versions are away from the big cities. County fairs, food festivals, various harvest festivals for blueberries, persimmons, etc. I love NOLA, but not for this. I'd never miss Preservation Hall with its tiny sign. I remember seeing Sweet Emma Barrett, playing one-handed by then, but a star.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
If I chase birds, I prefer a 12 GA. The guy with the la cross stick might now something the rest do not, though :lol:

Jan 8, 2013
So many things I didn't know about Mardi Gras and I'm just one state over from Louisiana. Been in Texas all my life and I only recently discovered coffee with chicory (which must have been invented in heaven) which I can't seem to get enough of. I now want to dress up in some very odd clothing and chase someone's chickens... but that could possibly get me shot.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
coffee with chicory
You must be talking about "Cafe Du Monde" coffee? Best stuff ever. It's a very famous cafe in downtown New Orleans but you can find their coffee in some grocery stores in southern Louisiana. Community Chickory Blend is another outstanding one that I can find here in northern Florida. Community Coffee is based in Louisiana and the offshore oilfield literally runs off the stuff.
Something about a chickory blend goes oh so good with that glorious first bowl of the day.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
anthonyrosenthal74 Try "cafe du mond", I used to buy it when living in Austin from the Chinese supermarket a little south of I 35 and Burnet Road. They also have metallic drippers over there, like they serve in Vietnamese restaurants, and if you fancy it, you can also get the sweetened condensed milk - same place.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We're just chatting (Facebook messenger) with my daughter who lives in NOLA, and showed her your picture. She said that is a rural celebration of Mardi Gras and the season in the country is a bit different from the city. Just when I thought I knew all about Mardi Gras, I discover I have a lot to learn....

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
There is also a blend named French Market Coffee which is pretty good as is Luzianne Coffee and Chicory.

My understanding has always been that the rural Mardi Gras celebration predates the New Orleans parades by a couple of decades.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Costume for Rural Mardi Grais, predominantly Catholic it was a severe Lent for the Cajuns, no drinking, cussing fighting , dancing, church every morning. So men had their women make costumes from what they had on hand, got together and rode horseback from farm to farm begging for ingredients for the big Gumbo that night at the Communal Hall. They entertained the farmers with silly, outrageous things. The farmers loved throwing the chicken up in the air and watching hordes of drunken Cajuns trying to catch it. Wagons filled them playing Cajun music. Good time had by all.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Just gimme the damn King cake & nobody gets hurt. I've got 4 bricks of Community chicory in the pantry so there I'm golden. :twisted:
Bill

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Watched a show with Josh Gates ( Expedition Unknown) where he participated in this. I had never heard of this before and had no desire to experience any of the more well known celebration but this looked like a lot of fun.

I don't know of any celebrations amongst your Acadian kin up here that compares to this though. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.