PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Went to my first pipe show ever today. The Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show. What everyone had said about the show was absolutely on the money. I'm not the best of social mixers, but wow! What a friendly personable crowd. Way beyond my expectations. Took the wife, and even she said she loved it. The sheer number of craftsmen and the amazing variety on display was off the charts. Next year I'm definitely going up on Thursday and staying through Saturday night. Yes - it really does merit that level of attention.
Here's my PAD/TAD from the day. I'll start a different thread for my main acquisition, but here's what I brought home:

20160430_214333.jpg

Bought the final - and I mean final 5 tins of the Beast from Jeremy himself. Added a tin of there new released-at-the-show tobacco, Bijou. Bought my first corn cob pipe ever, and already smoked a couple bowls through it. (duh. Why haven't I bought several of these long ago?)
Finally - added a Russ Cook Wax Drip Pipe.
And oh yes......I might have seen War Horse Plug (Bar?) in the flesh. And might have already smoked a bowl this evening. War Horse fans are just about done waiting.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Nice ! I always say the pipes are just a good excuse to get together with a great bunch of people for a few days. It's hard to find a better crowd anywhere!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Couldn't agree more. I was given a couple of bowls of absolute unicorn tobacco. One was a 40 year old Drucquer blend, no socks left! But the camaraderie is the best, and the top carvers and blenders are very accessible.

budrichard

Lurker
Jul 9, 2015
Adding to this thread on the Chicago Show, I arrived at 10:05 Saturday to again be greeted by a looooong line of people waiting to get into the show.

Same as last year!

ONE individual taking money and ONE giving a ticket. Took about 15 minutes to gain access to the Show.

I will have to assess my attendance next year.

Should be a way to get an advance ticket and just walk in the door!

Anyway, I spied the C&D table and walked off with tin #173 of 'The Beast' and a tin of 'Bijou' when i left.

I had an appointment ith Basil Meadows to pick out wood for a Modern 'Bing'.

Basil graciously helped me pick out the blank and a rod of exquisite Cumberland material for the stem.

since the rod had enough material for 3 stems, i told Basil, keep it and I will order two more pipes from him.

The number of makers both factory and custom was overwhelming, EVERYONE seems to want into the PIPE BOOM!

I hate to be critical but I saw this before in the Custom Duck and Game Call Boom.

More makers than you can shake a stick at making pretty calls but very few were able to make great sounds.

I wonder how many of these pipes are good smokers?

I was most taken by the Tsuge Exhibit of pipes manufactured by them over thier history.

The pipes made for 'Occupation Forces' caught my eye as well as two 80th Anniversary Pipes.

The Tsuge importer knew next to nothing about the exhibit.

No ikebana's either!

I scanned the tables but nothing really caught my eye.

Basil Meadows has a good reputation and that's where i put my money.-Richard

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always use the wait at the ticket table to scope out the layout of the exhibits and maybe shine up the staff a little, which last month got me the last of the freebie Missouri Meerschaum caps which I have been wearing ever since (take it off for bed if I remember). Anyway, that pipe show haul looks pretty wonderful. Don't go to the show unless you expect to come home with some of the product. At TAPS I bought two pipes, had arranged for a third to be brought there but had to follow-up on that by phone. Got tobacco samples, pipe cleaners both churchwarden and two regular, and a nifty stainless pipe tool for half what I'd pay online, so there you go. If you're in a thrift mode, go take a nice hike instead, probably. But you do have to go in an easygoing frame of mind. The staff volunteers aren't professionals, just pipe smokers, so you have to go to stand around and chat and let it happen. I was bowled over on my final go-around the exhibit tables when a long-coveted particular pipe carver's pipe was offered to me by the carver for about a third or less of my estimated price. I thought I was hallucinating. I think the savings paid for the rest of my day including the pipe I got online later.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Looks awesome. The fifteen-minute wait seems like a mess, but that's something that as an organizer you often have to see to understand. Good score by the original poster. That's a lot of The Beast, which you will enjoy in great clouds of smoke that like Rorschach blots will reveal your darkest inner impulses... be ready!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I went overboard, just a tad, in my PAD quotient!:
UANQqNJ.jpg

More or less in order of favorites, from R to L:
Ryan Alden blasted author

Dunhill spigot

Maestro de Paja military mount

Baby Wellington (not new to me)

*Carved Meerschaum- (jumping to top then back)

*1890's St. Claude pipe, unsmoked

*Butz-Choquin Hungarian

Bertram large billiard

Savinelli bent blast

Factory pipe that comes with entry in the Slow Smoking contest

MM in goodie bag given at Sat. Dinner
* Items won in silent auction for benefit of the show. One Ivarsson pipe brought $8,200 to the auction.
I come away with over three pounds of tobacco, but the best part is the whole scene at the show: great folks, laid back atmosphere, beautiful pipes and tobaccos.
Nicest part- almost all vendors—tobacco, and pipes— and carvers said they had a good show. That bodes well for our hobby/passion/pastime.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just think of all the money you saved!! Or maybe not. Too bad you didn't get here, but there are other days, other shows... See you then.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Killer haul.
Bought my first corn cob pipe ever, and already smoked a couple bowls through it. (duh. Why haven't I bought several of these long ago?)
I had the same reaction, and since that time, I've accumulated a fair number of them. I love briars also, but cobs have a certain utility and joy for portable all-day smoking.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Glad to hear everyone enjoying themselves at the show!

Bud, I never see lines as an issue at CPCC, that's actually how I've got to know many people that I now call my friends. It seems every year I rub elbows with a few new people standing in line, sitting next to them at the Friday night dinner or just bumping into them a few times over the course of a show. But lines are a bit inevitable as mso points out, the staff is almost entirely volunteers from the Chicago Pipe club.

Jpm, looks like you found some nice pipes while you were there ! Did you take the train home, or pick a faster route going back ?

Status
Not open for further replies.