PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Mark your calendars now for the Chicagoland International Pipe and Tobacciana Show! A full rundown of information for the biggest pipe show in the world has been released and is available here: http://www.chicagopipeshow.com/2017-pipe-tobacciana-show-flyer
Overview:

- May 3-4: Pipe making seminar

- May 4: Tobacco blending seminar

- May 5: "Swap and Smoke" buy/sell/trade event

- May 6-7: The main event!

- May 7: Slow smoke contest
The FDA nonsense won't keep us down. In unity and response to their nonsense, let's make this the biggest pipe show yet.
2017-show-poster-final-791x1024.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
My favorite show of the year! Paid for my table reservation for 2017 before we left the 2016 show...

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Zack, couldn't agree more! My table is booked as well, and was before I left the 2016 show!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

My table is booked as well, and was before I left the 2016 show!
Konstantinos Anastasopoulos did a special run of small calabash pipes and sold them at a reasonable price at this year's show. Will there be a special run of unicorns at next year's show on your table?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The 2017 show was largely sold out at the of the 2016 show. We are working on making 2017 better than 2016. Lots of work between now and then.

M

Is there a demand for them?
I don't know how much extra briar you have laying around? You know, pipes that haven't been realized or maybe blocks that you wish had taken a cut better and are just lying around. I'd turn those into unicorns; engineer them well, price them fairly, and they could be a one of a kind 2017 show thing.
I don't want to drag this out too long, but I could see a collaboration with Art @ Ming Kahuna to where he makes the custom acrylic horns that would be added as an adornment by the pipe maker.

Oct 5, 2016
I am mainly interested in buying tobaccos when I go to these shows, so for this one would I only need to go to day 5 or is that more of a designated day though people will sell tobacco throughout the whole show?

M

I am mainly interested in buying tobaccos when I go to these shows, so for this one would I only need to go to day 5 or is that more of a designated day though people will sell tobacco throughout the whole show?
You want to be there Saturday morning when the main show opens. There is tobacco sold at the show both Saturday and Sunday. The blending seminar provides participants with a pound or two (can't recall?) of tobacco that a person makes on his/her own to take home. The SWAP meet in the tent on Friday has a few vendors selling pipe tobacco mixed in. It's mixed in throughout the week, but if you want the most bang for your buck... go on Saturday if you have to choose a day. I have only been once and it was on a Friday and Saturday. I'll most likely return for Saturday in 2017? It's a great event.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Hoping to make this one too! We lived in Chicago in my pre-pipe days, only for about four months, and my wife has been hinting at a trip back.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Looking forward to it as always! Thanks for the heads up on info (and for all the hard work you folks do), my table is already booked and paid. See you in May.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Is that really the flyer? FAR OUT!! It looks like R. Crumb or the Freak Brothers!

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Looking forward to it as always! Thanks for the heads up on info (and for all the hard work you folks do), my table is already booked and paid. See you in May.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Yes, that is the flyer. We have lots of other activities we are working on also. We are trying to get as many tables into the Mega Center as the fire marshals will allow. More news will come.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
Looking forward to hopefully being able to go, (finals allow). Only thing other than that is figuring out a mode of transportation from Chicago to there.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Only thing other than that is figuring out a mode of transportation from Chicago to there.

There's a Metra station a few miles away. I picked up a student for a couple of years before he graduated and moved on.
A lot time there are people with rooms in the tower selling off piles of aged tobacco. Keep your eye on the bulletin boards.
I know Tony Soderman's daughter will be in Chicago sell his pipe collection. I'm not positive about tobacco but if she brings his cellar it could be the biggest sale of vintage tobacco since Loring's son sold his tobacco. 8O

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
it could be the biggest sale of vintage tobacco since Loring's son sold his tobacco.

That is somethig I don't want to miss, however taking the south shore, then Metra is alot of train.

Status
Not open for further replies.