PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
In the pipe and cigar world we talk at length about tobacco blends, including the specific leaf used and toppings and flavorings. We even make videos about the topic and argue over minutiae both in print and on YouTube. This I understand, this I’m comfortable with.
But I can’t find any quality information about what tobaccos and ingredients are used in the production of chewing tobacco. It would also be nice to see a video on the processing methods. Since I chewed Kodiak for nearly 30 years before giving up the habit, I am curious what tobacco I was actually tasting. But I can’t find any information online. Does anyone have knowledge on this? Any links?

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Earlier this summer, I learned that Edgerton, WI was the center of a large chewing tobacco empire in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They grew a varietal called Wisconsin Leaf, which you can still buy seeds of. It was cured by hanging whole plants,leaves still on the stalks, in brick warehouses which were heated by boiler/radiator systems to cure. I don't know the steps between cured plants and chewing tobacco. If the restored advertisements painted on the sides of buildings there are to be believed, one of the biggest products from that area was "mail pouch" brand chewing tobacco.
You can read old editions of the Edgerton Reporter on line, if you're curious.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Fair enough Warren. I am simply curious what type of tobacco leaves are used.
I forgot about the rule of not discussing other forms of tobacco. Mods, you can close this post.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
I knew an old man who smoked in his clay pipe, French brown tobacco very tight rolled like chocolate, he cut small bits.

(It was mostly the sailors who may be ticking because they were not allowed to smoke on some boats.)

Status
Not open for further replies.