PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
I ran across this a couple days ago and I can't stop coming back to it.
This guy lives out in the woods and makes cherry wood pipes.
Linking to the foreward. Then if interests you click on the Zulu's Bolg link in the bottom right corner at the bottom of the first entry before the comments.
I suggest the reading the 1st installment of Cherrywood Start to Finish and the the conclusion.
The rest of the posts are all related and very interesting as well.
Anyway...fascinating I think.
I've done a good bit of woodworking and this has me inspired to clean all the piled junk of my benches and order some Cherry stock and bits.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I ordered a piece of 2x2x18" cherry stock 18 inches of 3/4 inch cherry doweling and a straight filterless vulvanite bit. The bit is coming from the pimp my cob guy. I figure I can use a cob as a guide for stemming.
If I make anything decent I'll send you one Phil. Won't be done by Emmitt and likely won't be as cool. But it's not an overly difficult concept and I have enough cherry to screw up a couple!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Cherry wood pipes are great! I get a lot of cherry in my fire wood so I have a good supply. Just break it in gently and it will cake better than brier and give you a nice smoke.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Neat link I'm waiting on briar blocks to come now, I'll post what I carve. I have a friend in Arkansas with a lot of fruit trees. I'm going to his farm in the near future to see what kind of wood I can get. If it's a lot I'll be willing to share.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Cherry is excellent, apple Is great too. I have used white oak with less that stellar results. LOTS of tannins . The main thing with most fruit woods is being very careful in drying. Seal the end grain with cheap latex paint to prevent splitting.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I ordered spindle turning stock which will likely need to dry a bit. Although I think I'll start messing with it right away. Should be a bit soft which is why the turners like it a little on the wet side.
Good way to get some practice with slightly more forgiving wood and get all the screw ups out of the way...hopefully.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Shouldn't have too according to the reading I've done. Cherry is considered an exceptional pipe wood and along with Olive second only to Briar and is non toxic (same with most fruit woods.
Sometimes turning stock is cased in wax to keep it from over-drying so it's not overly brittle when turned....or hacked at with hand tools by guys like me.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Well the only wood I have laying around are two slabs of redwood burl , has anyone ever heard or seem a redwood pipe . I know it used to make food grade bowls . and such as well as drinking water pipes .

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Not sure.
I do know that the pipe makers shy away from woods that naturally repel insects and such due to oils inherent in the wood. Redwood qualifies I would think.
But again I don't know for sure.
Maybe I'll make a pipe from a pressure treated 2X4. If I live we'll know anything is safe. I could name it Arsenic and Old Lace.
RJ

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I deal with Greenbush Presuure Treating and will attest that pressure treated lumber is not good for you . But you should make one for yourself that way I will know for sure with out contacting some one who knows for sure what the heck some people think they know from reading wiki . You know what I mean .

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I will take some nice clear shots of the cherry pipes tomorrow and post them. The only problem I had with the apple wood pipe I cobbled together was that I lost it squirrel hunting. Caked up just fine and smoked pretty well.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Yeah people say they smoke "sweet".
Anxious to hear what you think about your Ropp.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
The place I ordered my briar from sent it to the wrong address. I'm waiting for it to come still.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Sapo,

There's a lot of that going around lately.

Maybe a 5 day work week would cut down on mail's exposure to the postal service, and thereby improve the service. Not to mention slow the rate of postal rate increases.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Phil:
I replaced my drill press and am planning to play some more today.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Will do Phil.
I like to keep my public waiting.
OK I lied.
Maybe I just don't have anything I'm overly proud of yet.....
Probably have something to amuse the masses fairly soon though. I had a fun few hours and have a decent start on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.