PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A couple of months ago, on a couple of recommendations, I ordered a 8oz canister of Chelsea Morning (I loved the song as a youth), opened the tin and stuffed my pipe with the contents. And nearly choked. Latakia! Perique! These are anathema to an aromatic smoker. I sealed the canister and put it on a shelf.

So it sat for two or three months. I picked it out again yesterday, filled a bowl and lit it. Surprise! No choking, no overbearing flavor of the above-mentioned anathema, just a mild and tolerable spicing.

So what happened? Does letting the harshness of a blend soften up after aging or being opened?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like it mellowed. CM is very mild and easily a morning or all day smoke.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I'm not a perique fan but I like Chelsea Morning. The perique is in the background on this tobacco and adds a nice touch. I never had a problem with it being harsh out of the tin. I will let mine sit for a few months and see how it tastes. I have some unopened tins that are about a year old. Maybe this blend ages really well.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I find most blends benefit from being open for at least a week or two. This seems especially true if the tobacco is relatively young. It seems even truer with GLP blends. I had a similar experience after opening my first tin of Chelsea Morning. A bit flat. It has become one of my favorite blendsmi find the Perique very subdued.

Status
Not open for further replies.