PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I've bought acrylic and ebonite from just about all the places that sell them such as Vermont Freehand etc. I then use my PIMCO tenon tool and turn the tenon down for a nice snug fit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know other sources. I bought my Forever stems years ago from the original owner. However, I would point out that a few MM cobs come with acrylic stems if you shop for them and can find them. For example, MM and Dagner collaborate on a well designed poker nose warmer that has an acrylic stem and is available from either web site; I bought mine from the MM site. It has a fine ample bowl and is a commendable smoker. My wife bought me a extra large freehand MM cob which came with an acrylic stem, though I haven't seen that one online lately. It has a conical bowl. Both these cost a little more, but less than buying a similar cob and retrofitting it with an acrylic stem, even an inexpensive one.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Another option is to buy a pile of the Danish bits from MM for 50 cents a pop and change them out when required. I actually like the feel of them; they are more substantial than the regular bits.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
That's Forever Stems, I want to get a bunch of stems, I don't want to pay $24 each.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The MM/Dagner is or was about $23 when I bought it at the MM site a few months ago. I think the MM freehand was about $28; they may come with Vulcanite rather than acrylic now. They don't seem to be a regularly featured item, but they do show up. Either is certainly cheaper than any pipe and retrofit.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
uperepik, go to the Missouri Meerschaum site on the left. They sell all their bits at good prices...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Vermont freehand is where I buy mine
20170607_130051.jpg

My cobs shanks always get stretched out, so the stems are always loose after a few months. They sell the tool to turn the tennon down to fit, but since my shanks are oversized the stems fit perfectly unturned. Military style.

Status
Not open for further replies.