PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
!CC-(pvgBGk~$(KGrHqUOKjEE0lRmC9ZYBNNBMWFF0!~~_12.JPG

While searching the dozens of ebay listings I came across the Ukraine pipes and thought why not?

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320667904229&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Anyway, it's actually quite a nice pipe to smoke, not sure what wood it is but is well made, very light and has a smallish bowl. But it draws well and is very usable. Sort of like a mini churchwarden I guess.

Guess I just answered my own question about makes a good pipe.

Anybody else tried some of the other types on offer from the Ukraine? Lots of cool shapes and carvings for not too much money.

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
Looks like a really good purchase for you, Martin. I've been wondering if the Ukraine pipes were any good. Now I know.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Ive looked at them...Pear tree root,sounds like the hot tongue to me..but I mat be wrong.. :crazy:

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I have a pearwood pipe from one of the Ukranian makers as well. It's a great smoker aside from the brass stinger in the tenon. If I smoke any kind of aromatic, it gurgles like crazy and will do so even with English blends. Smoke slow and enjoy. Here's a pic of mine:

3653151279_705d1915fc.jpg

3653947076_6817fe5a60.jpg

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I got one a couple of weeks back called "Cockle Shell" - it smokes well and I got it for $1.44 after I cashed in my ebay bucks. It is a nice smokin' little pipe. Lightweight, well carved, sits nicesly in my hand. All tobaccos smoke well in it - no hot tongue or hot pipe for that matter.

pallmall

Lurker
May 2, 2011
Bought a couple of hand made pear tree root Ukrainian pipes from ebay. One is an author's pipe which rests beautifully against my chin. The other is a bent pipe with a carving of a dragon on the bowl. Both are about 15 cm long and the inside diameter of the bowl is about 1.8 cm.
Being a new pipe smoker and ex cigarette smoker, I tend to smoke a bit too fast. I tend to find them to be more forgiving. Less tongue bite and the pipe does not get as hot. I like the feel of it in my hand - no polish/varnish. The colour of the author's pipe is changing from a light tan to a nice dark brown.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Good to know.. I have thought about buying that same churchwarden myself. Thanks for sharing

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Long-Pipe-8-3-Tobacco-Pipe-of-Pear-Root-Wood-Pipe-Lady-Blues-/181004481395?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a24b53373
Just pulled the trigger on this guy, my first 'real' pipe in years. It looks to be pretty similar. Will post my amateur and probably useless review once I have had it.
Looking forward to pear root wood as per a recomendation from johnnyxpipe

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I have seen them also and I am very tempted to get one. They do look nice.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
Check out Mr. Brog for pear wood pipes. They smoke excellent, I have 3 and love them.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've got one of the larger carved ones and it smokes like a dream, very cool and dry. It doesn't have that brass stinger though.

Status
Not open for further replies.