PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Now that I have the space to do so, I would like of like to invest in a buffing wheel but don't want to spend a crazy amount of cash. Anyone got a setup that they like that they got fora good price and can point me in the right direction?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Define cheap. I have a variable speed, 8", 2 wheel which was around $480.00 new. If you want to shine pipes look for a simple, slow, single speed (under 2000rpm, slower is usually better for buffing), 6-8 inch wheel unit, probably more than $50 and less than %80.00. I prefer two wheels and variable speed. as I also sharpen knives also.

plains

Lurker
Sep 4, 2011
Go to E-Bay and search “Foredom bench lathe”. I purchased one a year ago and love it. Variable speed, whisper quiet, isn’t a “horse” as some of the larger buffers are and a variety of buffs are available from the Foredom site. I use 3” buffs.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Make sure you get 8” wheels and extended shafts, so that you have plenty of room around the wheels to maneuver the work. Variable speed gets more expensive, but a 1750 rpm motor will be fine. Get the most powerful motor that you can afford. Cheap motors bog down and run hot. There are several units on Amazon that fit the bill.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
And, don't forget to hang on. You'll not like watching your prized briar ricochet off the walls of your shop. Or, having it jump up and hit you in the face. Mischievous little buggers, those pipes can be.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I used an old furnace motor, with an arbor from Caswell. Check your local motor repair for a 1725 rpm motor. The arbors run about $20.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Depending on how serious you wish to get ......
I use 4 furnace fan motors. 2 bought used ( $20.00 each ) and 2 new ( $90.00 each ). Beall buffing system set I think is around $100.00. They do come with "quick release" arbors, so you really can get set up for under $150.00.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's a Reborn Pipes entry I did on my workshop, and updated last year.

https://rebornpipes.com/2013/08/19/my-buffing-motor-setup/
Jestco Products is another good source for pad arbors and pads.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Not sure how cheap you are talking but you can always get a buffing wheel attachment for a drill and find a way of securing it to a workbench.
4IN_FLANEL_DRILL_1024x1024.png

Jul 15, 2011
Not sure how cheap you are talking but you can always get a buffing wheel attachment for a drill and find a way of securing it to a workbench.
I had heard of someone doing this before by putting the drill in a vice and doing it that way.
From the looks of the rest of the responses, it appears that I may be in over my head. I was looking to get out of this whole deal for $100 or under, which it sounds like might not happen. Honestly, given the amount of work that I need to do, it might be more cost effective to go other routes, either sending them out to get cleaned up or just doing it the old fashioned way by hand that I used to do with the Oxyclean and the Micro Mesh pads. In any case, thanks to everyone for the quick responses. It is very much appreciated.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was going to post the drill setup, but you beat me to it seldom.
They are very cheap to setup and gives you a good feel of polishing a pipe. Maybe you won't be into to it like you thought you would and won't be out a pile of money.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I use the Beall system on my lathe. Of course, you probably don't want to buy a lathe unless you plan on doing a lot of woodturning.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al, are you left handed?
I'm indeed right handed. I suppose that is function of the way the wheels are rotating. I prefer clockwise, so pull down, not up. (spins toward the floor)
On a budget:

Used motor - $25 to $40 (I paid $40 for the dual-arbor buffer in my link)

Arbor - $16 (Jestco)

Pads - 2 sewn @ $7 each

Loose - 1 @ $7

Compounts - White Diamond, Carnuba, a mild abrasive (Grey, Tripoli - NOTE - Rarely used!), about $10 each

Total - about $100
You definitely can use a drill setup, but that is very limiting in results.
A high HP motor is what gets the best results. That is why I don't like jewelry style buffers.
Do not waste money on a variable speed reducer (Harbor Freight, etc.) they don't work and will ruin your grinder motor (which are cheap, but too high speed)

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? You can pick up a 6-inch bench buffer for about $45 and Router Speed Control for $20. The buffer is a 3450 rpm so you plug it into the router speed control and dial it down to a slower speed. Dial it down too much and it will stop spinning when you apply the pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? You can pick up a 6-inch bench buffer for about $45 and Router Speed Control for $20. The buffer is a 3450 rpm so you plug it into the router speed control and dial it down to a slower speed. Dial it down too much and it will stop spinning when you apply the pipe
My advice above was to not waste your money on this setup. There are several threads here on that this is a big fail. I already owned a high speed metal buffer(dual arbor) and tried the HF router speed control. It did not control the speed and I was advised, that it would eventually cause the failure of the motor. Apparently there is a reason it is called a router speed control. I returned the speed control, so no foul here, I just wouldn't want folks to waste their time and money.
One thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/bench-grinder-as-a-buffer
More info:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130655

Status
Not open for further replies.