PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
The biggest challenge I've run into over the past few weeks is really not shaping the pipes, but cutting the stems from rod stock. Thanks to a little excellent advice from Harris last weekend, I'm slowly improving that part of my pipes. The pictures tell the tale- the first one is a hand-cut ebonite stem that I shaped a couple of weeks ago- too thick, poorly defined button, and too rounded. The second one is the same stem with some reshaping- overall thickness is a VERY thin 3.5mm, with a more defined button and better shape to the airway. The final picture is the stem grinding rig I put together this weekend- let's me taper down rod stock with a lot of control while keeping the sides perfectly parallel....
What do you guys like to see in a stem? If you have a picture please post it!
2em0w84.jpg

2vdgqs4.jpg

2ijhymd.jpg

o74kd3.jpg

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have found I like my stems wider with a bit of a pronounced button. The one you fixed is very nice and more along the lines I like. Great job Zack.

Dec 24, 2012
I like the redesigned button far better. I am not an anal tightass like Harris when it comes to stems, but I do have a preference for a tighter button.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I guess I'm a 'tightass' too. :)
I love a pronounced button, preferrably a thinned out stem to a fishtail end. I have a one pipe that I should have sent to Walker or another pipe man. It came in very roundish and hard to clench so I thinned it out to be very comfortable for me, but because I didn't have the patience, there are wavy lines on the stem.
It clenches much better, though.
Allan

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
My biggest problem was that 25 years ago, I only worked with preformed stems and didn't have a good frame of reference for what guys are looking for today. I had a chance to really look at some excellent stems, and then looked at several pipemakers online who are known for their stems- I like to look back at what they were shaping a thousand or two thousand pipes previously. It's interesting to see the evolution in what pipemakers were doing 9 or 10 years ago.Even 10 years ago, a lot of guys were still using preformed stems- now it's almost exclusely hand-cut once you get into the more expensive pipes...Thanks for the feedback guys!

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Wow. Great improvement. The button is such a critical part of the pipe for me. Great job Zack! Harris was a great person to talk to concerning this. The man definitely knows a comfortable button. Below are a few pics of a Rad Davis saddle bit. My saddle bit Rad's are by far the most comfortable of all stems I own.
null_zpsd04cdc21.jpg

null_zps99260b1d.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Zack, that new stem looks so much better, well done. Next time I come over I will give it a go and see if I like it. To answer the original question, a stem is now hugely important to my smoking pleasure. The button needs to be very pronounced and the stem itself needs to be nice and flat. chris showed pics of his Rad which are my favorite stems. Another important aspect to a great stem is the inside needs to be polished so there is absolutely no turbulence.
roth makes a great point about comfort and practicality. Yes if too thin, bite thorough is a serious issue so the artisan must be very careful of that. I have been clenching my first Rad for almost a year and it shows no signs of wear or damage. I think he has it down to a science and I also believe the quality of the German vulcanite he uses has a lot to do with his ability to make them thin and durable.
I was perusing my copy of Newcombs book In Search of Pipe Dreams and he was discussing a time when he was talking to I believe Chonowitsch and he asked why the artisan made the pipes he sells have a thicker stem than the ones he smokes himself, and he answered that he knows how hard to clench and that he is not comfortable making them that thin for his customers for fear of bite through.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Second attempt way better. I would error on the side of thicker, as others have pointed out. Its amazing the bite strength some people have. I have a very old pipe with a bone stem and it has deep chatter. Imagine what that guy would have done to a vulcanite stem.
Zack, to be honest though, I would smoke the last pipe you posted about with a straw from my pantry. That thing was a beauty.

Dec 24, 2012
Next time I come over I will give it a go
Dream on. Like Zack will ever have you over again after you drank all of his wine and mocked and ridiculed his buttons. I'm sure he hates you.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Peck, When he was checking the button, Harris did make a face like he had just stuck a 2x4 in his mouth...or it could have been he just ended up with a mouth full of ebonite dust (Have to remember to rinse after drilling....:)
Thanks Harris!- You saved me a few months of doing it wrong...
Glenn, Not a problem- if I ever do a pipe for you, I'll be sure to include a hand-cut Cumberland straw...:)

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Ok, a technical question.
Does anyone know how much material is left on say, a Rad stem right before the button? On another maker's pipe that has a nice thin stem up until the button area? 1/2mm, less, more?
The reason I'm asking is whether or not I can polish with abandon (ok, too loose a word) to take off the bite marks I leave when I clench. Maybe bite marks are too strong a word; kind of scrape marks or dulling of the vulcanite, which after polishint, almost completely disappear.
Harris had suggested a while ago that too much polishing could make the stem ready to break through and so I've stopped polishing. Obsidian oil does nothing for me.
Allan

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
OK. If both Mike and Roth are correct, 3mm is alot of material. So, if I do light polishing on the tips, I can do it many times without any danger.
I can have a soft touch.
Thanks

Allan

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Most guys seem to be drilling 1/16" on the last inch of stem (1.3mm) and then widening it to a v . So if the area behind the button is 3.5mm, you have 1.1mm on the top and 1.1mm on the bottom- that's about 1/20". The is all assuming that in grinding the two tapers, the pipemaker removed exactly the same amount off the top and bottom...(Which is probably why I blew through a couple of airways working on my grinding jig the other day...There ain't much meat on that bone...)Chomp lightly...and polish carefully...:)

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Zach
Of course. I don't know what I was thinking (or not thinking). The amount of material is very small.
Thank you very much for the clarification.
When I polish, I will wave the stem a 1/2 inch away from the wheel :)
Allan

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Allan, good technique...and if you don't turn the motor on, it will further reduce the possibility of damage....:) OK- time to go do mangle some more stems in the shop- you guys have me inspired....

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, Zack was so grateful that I brought some of my artisan pipes that my wine glass was never near empty the entire time I was there, he just kept pouring and pouring and the next morning I felt it. We really did have a blast even though I almost lost a couple of crowns the first time I clenched a couple of his stems. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.