PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
Still new at purchasing items at estate auctions. Picked up this Charatan for $32. May not be perfect but I hope it will be a good smoker after I get it cleaned up.
charatan4-600x253.jpg

charatan2-600x383.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I love Charatans.
I will point out, though, that this one has a replacement stem. All original Charatan stems have the white "CP" logo on them.
Also, it may be the wrong style of stem for this particular shape. If you look at the nomenclature on the pipe, you may see the letters "DC" somewhere on the shank, which indicates that it should have shipped with a "Double Comfort" stem. (Not all Charatan pipes have DC stems, but I'd say that the majority do.)
Of course, this should still be a great smoker for you!
Bob

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Beautiful burner, Moonman. I love Charatan pipes and, in spite of the replacement stem, yours should be an excellent smoker.
One of my favorite brand of estate pipes is The Tinderbox Unique with the Made in England stamp on the stem or bowl bottom. They might not be the prettiest pigs in the pen but they were made by Charatan for the Tinderbox chain way back when and all of mine are very good to wonderful smokers.
With some sharp eyes you can frequently find them on the Bay - poorly identified to be sure - for 5 to 20 bucks.
Great catch and good hunting.
Fnord

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Nice one! That stem, if the pipe is not stamped DC, could still be original. I have an old Charatan, with a DC stem, but the logo is jus barely visible. you have to really strain to see it under a good light.

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
Thanks for the knowledge on the stem, I wasn't aware of that. Would the original OEM stem be available somewhere?

I will look and see what is stamped on it when I get it Thursday. You guys are great....everyday I learn more and more in this forum.
My brother in Virginia sent me a 314 Peterson smooth he didn't want anymore so I am cleaning up as well. I love the shape of the bowl and very comfortable in my hand. Good smoker as well.
peterson-314-600x450.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Depending on the era of the Charatan, you might have a hard time finding a replacement stem with the CP logo on it. But when I mentioned the current stem and my suspicion that it was a replacement, I didn't mean to suggest that it was any less of a pipe or less desirable because of that! I just pointed it out as a way to suggest why the price might have been as low as it was -- and just to let you know, in case you ever wanted to sell it on; you'd have a better understanding of what you'd be offering.
BTW, when you do check on whether or not this is stamped "DC," let us know what else is stamped on the pipe. An "L" in a circle indicates a Lane-era Charatan, which are the most common on the estate market. But if it's stamped "City of London," then that's an earlier pipe and one that's more highly sought (and valuable). "City of London" pipes tend to be very large, also feature the words "Hand Made," and often include some unusual/odd/quirky shape feature.
I've had both "City of London" and Lane-era Charatans and find that they all smoke very well. Charatan is my favorite pipe brand, and the only ones I can't recommend are those produced in the last 15-20 years.
Bob

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
If there is an X marked after the shape number the stem would be a non DC bit. Actually the stem looks pretty good and I'm sure you'll enjoy smoking that Acorn. You bought a fine pipe at a very bargain price IMO. Let us know how you like it once you've enjoyed a few bowls. Congrats.

:clap:

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
Thanks rnbittner and Doc. I will check it out and let you know how the stem is marked, suppose to get it Thursday. I am sure the person that sold it knew something about the pipe and it was a good opportunity for me to get a reasonably priced pipe for a smoker in my rotation. The listing said faint markings, pipe number is not legible, so I may never know much about it. I was just curious about the stem. I am very happy to get it.

Thanks for all the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.