PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
For Christmas I treated myself to an estate Charatan. Today was the first chance I had to smoke it. Wow!!! Smoked beautifully. I may have to hunt down another early 60's Charatan to keep this one company.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We don't get that many Charatans over here, definitely post a picture. If you like large pipes, Charatan is a natural choice.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Is there a pointer (e.g. online somewhere) that elaborate the history and identification of pre-Lane era Charatans?
I used mostly just Pipedia and PipePhil but there seem to be not enough information.
Just very curious, even back in 5+ years ago, not preparing to start a whole cycle of P.A.D. again.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is there a pointer (e.g. online somewhere) that elaborate the history and identification of pre-Lane era Charatans?
Nope. You've pretty much covered it. I'm really surprised, since there is a Charatan collectors society, that nobody has published any real in depth writing about the periods.

docwrite

Lurker
Oct 25, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I prefer Charatan Make, (pre Lane/Dunhill made...Lane distributed [florid 'L'] are fine, Prescot Street. ie., late 1950s and earlier), to most English pipes, and English pipes to most others. Not to the exclusion of others, by any means, but it is a preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.