PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I am working on being better to me pipes! Working on a system for the rims when it has grain. Many have mentioned spit or wax on the rim to protect it. I started using non flavored ChapStick, I always have some on me and it takes but a moment to hit the rim. Seems to work very well, and no one stares at me all aghast as I wet my finger and rub spit on the rims. Although, I do tend to like aghast looks lol. Anyone else do this or has and had any issues?

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Haven't tried it. I just lick the ol' booger hook and rub it on the rim!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I use chap stick on tithe pipe stem to keep oxidation in check but not on the bowl rim. I do the spit on the rim and twist on my jeans. That keeps the rim clean but puts stains on my pants.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
We'll find out. I coated a whole bowl with chapstick in a stupid manic episode. So far no damage, just smells like cherries.
Not ever going to again....but was funny at the moment. Medico Abuse

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sounds OK and presumably any residue gets wiped off after the bowl is done.
Though as to looking aghast, I'd think coating the rim with the stick in public would draw more stares. I'll have to try it soon!

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Thank you for your responses.
Old Cajun, had not thought of that....

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Spit on the rim is usually done to clean it-not protect it. It can't really.What's the Chap Stick gonna do? Keep it clean and wax it once in a while and use care when lighting up.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I only time I used chapstick on a pipe was to smooth out a tight stem when I was in a pinch. I don't have a need to put it on the rim of a pipe. I just pack short of the top of my briars to keep the rims in good shape. I use a paper towel and spit if I need to wipe off any residue. I get the desire to want to keep the grain looking good, but the luster of a fresh coat of wax is hard to keep. You may want to invest in a motor, wax, and buff if you really want to keep the rims of your pipes nice and shiny? Otherwise, if chapstick does the trick then go with it. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.