PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
now that the weather has FINALLY turned here, I can sit out and smoke a lot more bowls. Today I think I had six bowls. I'm a religiously slow smoker and tongue bite is a rare occurrence (unless I'm not paying attention once in a while). My bigger issue is smoking makes me salivate and eventually I get something akin to chapped lips. Is this something that fixes automatically as your body adjusts? Am I doing something wrong? I'm not a clencher, and never put the button in much further than my lips. I generally like the smoke pouring right onto my tongue where I feel I get the best flavor sensations.
I've read what seems like hundreds of threads about tongue bite, but no one mentions chapped lips. Surely I'm not the only one who's experienced this?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My bigger issue is smoking makes me salivate and eventually I get something akin to chapped lips.
The salivation is normal at first. It seems to lessen over time. At the risk of sounding more 'tarded than usual, can I suggest chapstick or vaseline?

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
At the risk of sounding more 'tarded than usual, can I suggest chapstick or vaseline?

Actually - that's a great comment. I virtually never use chapstick, so that thought never entered my mind. I'll take that advice. Thanks.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Throw on some burts bee's or other beeswax based unscented lip balm and you'll keep your lips and your pipe stem in peak condition. Just remember to gently wipe down excessive residue when you put your pipe away. Also helps to condition a smooth rim after smoking.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Beeswax: the bee's knees!
But I suspect excessive lip chapping to be more a function of time outdoors than number of bowls. At least, that's my experience.

I just use a little 220 sandpaper on mine to keep the peeling down.

This could be from a little dehydration during smoking. The smoke dries out your mouth, triggering your salivation, and pulling fluids from the rest of your body to offset the salivation. Maybe try drinking some water or coffee while smoking. ...or chapstick. I hate chapstick.

Also, you mention not putting the button in your mouth beyond your lips. You could be chapping your lips with the heat of the smoke. Clenching sets you pipe in your teeth, so that your lips don't get the heat. Even if you are totally opposed to clenching, you might try putting the button in your mouth beyond your lips. Large ring cigars will chap my lips for this reason also.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Another vote of enthusiasm for beeswax products!! Burt's Bees lip balm is my weapon of choice. I find I put some on about 15 minutes before I smoke, let it just sit, then wipe off the excess before lighting up...and it has solved the chapped lips with smoking thing for me. (Incidently, if you have to use medical-grade silicon face appliances to breath, bees wax does not degrade the silicon. Any petroleum/gel products will.)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In all my years of smoking a pipe I have never heard of anyone getting chapped lips. Are you sure you are smoking with a stem, and not straight from the shank? That could be problematic.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
There may be a rubber/latex sensitivity/allergy issue going on here. Vulcanite stems are hard rubber. Though it's probably nothing serious, and the above mentioned lip balm application may take care of this, I wonder whether you'd get the same reaction to a pipe/pipes with acrylic stems. Just a thought ... :puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
What are you doing wrong? You aren't taking care of your lips, this is why I'll use carmex usually once a day, before I ever started smoking I also got chapped lips.

Status
Not open for further replies.