PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigmapiguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge as to whether or not smoking a pipe while taking chantix is safe? I am currently taking chantix to help kick my cigarette addiction. I enjoy 2-3 daily pipes to help digest knowledge while studying. Also, I don't inhale my pipe smoke. Any pertinent help on my inquiry would be much appreciated! Cheers!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I know a few who have kicked cigs but still smoked a pipe while taking Chantix.

The stuff made me lose my mind after a few days, I had to quit taking it.

I was having audio hallucinations and felt real agitated like I was overdosing on caffeine.

Your mileage may vary :eek:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Oh yeah, the stuff did work great for giving up cigs. I went from two packs to 5 cigarettes a day in the week or so I used Chantix. I picked the habit back up though when I got off the pills.

Good luck !

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
They say it does that in some people, in others it doesn't. My brother tried Chantix a few years ago, and it made him paranoid. But, I have 5 or 6 friends who have stopped smoking with Chantix, and they never had negative side effects. Most everyone I know who used it for the full course has stopped smoking cigarettes long term too, so it does work well from what I've seen.

Bob is the owner of www.pipesmokerforum.com (mods delete link if its not ok to post), I know he quit cigarettes with Chantix and smoked his pipe the whole time. You might check in over there and ask about his experience.

sigmapiguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Awesome, thanks for all the info and help, it's much appreciated! I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm determined to quit the cigs and stick with full-time pipe usage :puffy:

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
well i am doing it with out the pills just smoke a pipe the hardest part for me was my wake up cig but i finally found a blend that has enuff nicotine to easy my cravings and i do enhale every so often

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:clap: on your efforts to give up cigarettes.

The only experience I have with Chantix is this; an engineer I was working with tried it... After a week he began to lose his skin... It nearly killed him, and his mind just wasn't right either... For me Chantix is scary stuff.

As Lonestar said: "Your Milage May Vary."
For me; I just went cold turkey for 1 month then picked up the pipe... My pipe smoking was heavy in the beginning. But, after only a few days had tapered off to just when I have the time to smoke a pipe... And, nicotine is no longer a concern, or craved.
Good luck to you.

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
hi aron i stopped smoking cigaretts using chantex dont take that

route it is dangerous it messes up your head badly i dont believe

it should be allowed on the market the doctors had to prescribe

another medaciton to correct the chemical imbalance it caused

look up on the internet (side effect)and you will get a better idea

been off cigaretts now for 6 mths and went back to pipe smoking

which i enjoy but have no craving for cigs USE CHAMPIX AT YOUR OWN

PERIL

david(SCOTLAND

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I say just keep trying it. I know lots of people who used it successfully without bad side effects.

Just pay close attention to how you feel while taking it. If you notice paranoia, uneasiness or other feelings that aren't normal for you, be sure to contact your doctor immediately. Remind yourself that its not how you normally feel.

I know people who have taken prescription drugs and gotten very depressed and suicidal, never even realizing the pills were making them feel that way.

Just be sure to really monitor your emotions while taking it.

If it makes you weird, stop taking them.

If it doesn't, well no problems then.

sigmapiguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
So my skin can fall off, I can become paranoid/depressed/manic, and I can begin to hallucinate? Doesn't sound so bad... lol. So far it seems to be working alright. I haven't been having the cravings normally associated with nicotine.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I never went crazy or anything. But I couldnt think straight, couldnt concentrate on anything, and had this real tense hyper feeling like I couldnt sit still. Also, I kept hearing construction sounds going on outside, banging and equipment moving type of stuff. As far as I know, there wasn't any construction crew but maybe there was and they were on a different street ? Who knows, it was weird enough for me I said no thanks after about 5 days.

I started noticing odd feelings like the second day taking it, so you would know already if it doesn't agree with you.

As far as not needing to smoke cigarettes, that part of it was like magic.

With just a little willpower to not light up, it was really easy to not smoke cigarettes.

philip452

Lurker
Feb 22, 2014
I started taking Chantix on Oct 6, 2013. On Oct, 13 2013 I had my last smoke. I did not even a have a craving for one. I had the occasional dreams nothing bad just multiple ones per night. I went three weeks with taking 1mg in the am and 1mg in the pm. Than I went to just 1mg in the morning. No more dreams. Also if you don't eat enough you will get a upset tummy. I ordered another starter pack just to lower the dose before I totally quit. On Dec 19th 2013 I went to .5mg in the am and on Dec 21st stopped totally. It has been one week with nothing feels good. Thought about it through the whole process but I believe I am done with the nasty addiction. My side affects were dreams, angry, moody but all good.

This Manufacturer Chantix coupon link may help you:

http://www.manufacturerdrugcoupons.com/chantix-coupon/

Good luck to me and all who give it a try.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I used Chantax and hard candies to quit smoking successfully, no ill effects, although it is obvious some can't handle it. A month after I quit the cigs, I started pipe smoking and amazingly didn't feel any need for cigarettes, and didn't feel the addict's pull to smoke a pipe immediately after waking up. So in my case it worked, but use cautiously.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
Had a friend that was a two pack a day smoker. He took the stuff. Her is what he said that he was aloud to,smoke the first two weeks. The after that if he smoked he got sick as a dog. Never seen him smoke cigs again. I heard they cause thoughts of suicide. JMO

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can kick cigarettes without bad side effects and keep smoking a pipe on Chantix, maybe

it's okay, or good even. If it were me, I think I would try to do one thing at a time, like kick

the cigarettes, and re-introduce the pipe later. But maybe the pipe is helping you balance so

you don't get some of the bad effects. Don't take this wrong, but in a sense, we all have to be

our own physicians, that is, use all the expert advice from MDs, nurses, pharmacists, and others,

that we can gather, and then make the best decisions for ourselves we can. If you can kick the

cigs, get off the Chantix as soon as possible, and smoke a pipe moderately, and not have any

side effects, I say that's success. The side effects others describe sound scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.