Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Hi everyone,

last year I bought an Peterson Premier 303 pipe and after a year of smoking it, i saw that the bowl changes colour(from a darker virgin-ish colour to an light mahogany). Is it alright for the wood? Because i read somewhere(forgot where) that the changing may apply to rot or something like that.

Can you inform me on the changes?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've never heard of a pipe bowl rotting. The briar blocks are thoroughly dried, and kept dry before the pipe bowls are formed. Even an abused pipe that never gets cleaned just builds up cake and doesn't rot. Most likely your color change is from heating and cooling unevenly, and it's not really an issue unless there would be an un-seeable bad spot in the wood. If the finish is varnish and it bubbled, it would obviously be an issue. I respectfully suggest you read the rules on posting in the stickys. It's the last line in, Latest Discussions.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Virgin is when they don't give the bowls a colour or just slightly give it a colour.

For exhibit www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Jacono/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=184699

Status
Not open for further replies.