Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I picked a Sav. Estella Oompaul. I cleaned it up and had the first couple smokes out of it yesterday and today. There has been some gurgle about a 3rd of a bowl in both times. Should I chamfer the tenon or smoke it more to get some cake in it and see how it does, or dry my tobacco even more? I reamed very little cake out of it when I got it.
Mostly I wondered if a full bent is designed that way so there is turbulance to get the moisture to drop out of the smoke before it goes up the stem.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If by chamfer you mean to create a bevel in the tenon with a countersink, I would -- and have -- done this with good results.

I wouldn't do it to an expensive pipe (they usually don't need it anyway), but it can improve the flow, IMO. Work by hand, not power.

BTW, causing a smoke stream to take bends around an obstruction, like balsa wood or a stinger, or through a curving channel,

will promote the precipitation of moisture. Like Sam says, a little gurgle is common with full bent pipes.

585-12412.eps.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yes, chamfering the tenon usually helps.
Sometimes, if the airway is high in the mortise, and the tenon-mortise gap is small, the unchamfered tenon can actually block part of the airway. Even if it doesn't partially block it, the smoke will come straight out at the flat surface of the upper face of the tenon -- thus, turbulence galore.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I did that with the tenon on a French Edwards bent bulldog. The airway in the mortice was at the top! It made a world of difference as far as smoke stream travel. It continues to collect an insane amount of moisture, however.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I did this a few months ago to my peterson. Definitely helped with the gurgle. But the gurgle didn't really go away until I built up some cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.